• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I get to install this oil pan twice, yay!

t.flatt

Local time
8:51 PM
Reaction score
I thought everything was going great 'till I was wiping away extra silicone and this presented itself! WTF!! I almost crossed my fingers and hoped it wouldn't leak but everything came apart and got cleaned up. It's a new oil pan and I thought it would be flat. Wrong! Stupid mistake, several of the bolt holes need to be hammered flat.

20240602_123751.jpg

20240602_123616.jpg

I thought everything was going great 'till I was wiping away extra silicone and this presented itself! WTF!! I almost crossed my fingers and hoped it wouldn't leak but everything came apart and got cleaned up. It's a new oil pan and I thought it would be flat. Wrong! Stupid mistake, several of the bolt holes need to be hammered flat.

View attachment 1672708

View attachment 1672710
:BangHead:

I had the same problem on my 904,replaced gasket and filled and fluid on the ground. JOY JOY

I had the same problem on my 904,replaced gasket and filled and fluid on the ground. JOY JOY
Best not to take chances. Installing an oil pan and windage tray is 100 times easier on the engine stand than in the car!

By the split in the gasket, it appears the bolts are too tight. When using Ultra Grey the pan would probably stay on with no bolts.
Doug

By the split in the gasket, it appears the bolts are too tight. When using Ultra Grey the pan would probably stay on with no bolts.
Doug
I used The Right Stuff. Torqued to 15ft lbs...

I bought Summit's windage tray/gasket all in one unit hoping it works and should only have to do it twice

The only reason to use a gasket is for removal. The gasket will tear when you pull it off. With no gasket good luck getting thre pan off. The bolts need very little torque. Only enough to keep the bolts from falling out. A 1/4" drive ratchet will over tighten if you get after it.
Doug

Right stuff + gaskets?
That stuff keeps my panhead from leaking! It works, so I'll use it. The gaskets help with windage tray clearancing. I try to smear it as thin as possible, which is tough...

The only reason to use a gasket is for removal. The gasket will tear when you pull it off. With no gasket good luck getting thre pan off. The bolts need very little torque. Only enough to keep the bolts from falling out. A 1/4" drive ratchet will over tighten if you get after it.
Doug
The spec I read called for 15 ft pounds so that's what I did. Maybe that's too much.

The spec I read called for 15 ft pounds so that's what I did. Maybe that's too much.
I think that spec is way too high. I know the trans pan spec is. It'll split at the factory spec.
Doug

Also, on the side with the split gasket most of the holes in the gasket were 'elongated' by the bolts. They seemed to drop in fine when I put it together. I'm gonna make some bolt studs to keep everything aligned next time.

Auto Transport Service
Back