• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Need to remove my dash... help please.

RRSweden

Local time
7:33 AM
Reaction score
Hi.

I cant get my headlights(or any lights for that matter) to work... I bought a new light-switch, but still nothing. So I'm gonna remove my dashboard to get a good view at all the stuff...

Any tips and tricks for this operation?
I need to remove the steering-wheel first, right?

First, welcome to FBBO!

I don't know what car you have, but dash removal requires removing the steering column as well as the windshield. You may be talking about removing the instrument cluster, and that can be done (typically) by lowering the steering column and removal of the dash cluster that way.

Good luck

what year ? My 67 and 69 B bodies only required the steering column be lowered,not removed. That can be done by loosening floor bolts and the column connection to dash frame. Disconnect battery !!...67 B bodies the radio and heater controls also must come out. 68 on up, they stay in but the right lower corner of the instrument panel is hard to remove without breaking the end off. Hope this helps

thank you.
I have a 71 road runner..

And, as you guessed, it's the cluster i'm removing, not the whole dashboard... You have to be patient with my english here :)
Sometimes I'm off...

Is it possible to lower the steering column by just loosen it from the firewall?

firewall and there is a bracket under the column(usually a ground strap attached) that also needs to be loose to lower the column enough. Start with the column part and see if it comes down enough...most likely will have to loosen the bolts at the bottom of the column at the firewall also. Good luck

It came down as it should when I loosened the bracket and the column from the firewall..
I got the cluster removed without braking it!
Now I have to clean every contact surface and check for broken cables and such... I guess this will take a day or two..

thanks for you help guys!

Courtesy of NACHO...

to remove the complete dash frame assembly ( pad, frame, wiring and cluster )you need:

-Unplug all wiring attached to body or extra harnesses: Blower resistance plugs, rear harness on drivers kick panel, dome roof harness, both door jam switches, orange undercarpet wire on passenge kick panel if is floor shiter and power windows harness if is equiped. Of course also unplug harnesses from bulkhead and remove bulkhead/fuse box assembly screws from firewall. 74 has a grommet to feed the A/C blower, so unplug blower on engine bay and remove grommet from firewall.

Also, brake pedal wires and clips from steering column/brakes pedal brackets, hazzard flasher. Emergency pedal brake plug on driver side kick area. Cruise control wires... rear speaker and rear deffog from drivers kick panel area if equipped.

-Unplug harnesses from column and let drop the column ( 2 or 3 7/16" nuts/screws )

-Unplug speedo wire form cluster.

-Remove valve heater wire from cluster control and vacuum lines plug.

-Antena wire. This one need to be completelly removed from dash frame

-remove dash speaker panel... 4 1/4" hex screws and 3 phillips

-4 3/8" hex screw attached to top of cowl area with fasteners ( below windshield ).

-last step, ONLY LOOSE ( not remove ) 2 bolts, 1 on each side on kick panels. These are the last two bolts that supports the Dash assembly weight from car.

After that, just let drop the dash frame and remove from car.

2 guys is better to take care.

Swedish dude, just a thought, but before you strip everything you need to check the voltage supply to the switch. The headlamps get 12v straight from the battrey It's unusual not to have headlights so get a wiring diagram and check that 12 v feed first

I would start by checking the auxiliary feed wire at the battery, then the fuse links in the wireing before the bulk head connector before removing the wiring harness in the passenger compartment.

Auto Transport Service
Back