• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Identifying an A904 Torqueflight

Centerline

Local time
5:39 PM
Reaction score
I have a tough one for you guys. I have an A904 torqueflight and I'm trying to identify the year of manufacture. The guy I purchased it from had it in a '67 Belevedere and decided to switch to a 4 speed. The numbers on the pan rail are 202729X 7381 6082. None of these numbers make sense. The first should be the casting number which identifies the make and model of the original car/truck and the second should be the julian date with the third set as the production number but I can't find these anywhere. The trans has a 27 spline input shaft so it should be '67 or later. With the X in the part number I'm wondering if it might be a factory replacement, but I don't really have a clue.

I'm getting ready to go through this trans and need to make sure I order the correct rebuild kit. Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited:
I would say that the first digit in the part number is missing or unreadable. The date code is for a 1981 transmission.

Here's the numbers. I believe I've figured this out. The only number I can find that has these 6 numbers in it is 4202729 which is for an '82-83 Imperial 318 cu. in. V8 which would make sense with the 1981 manufacturing date. When I use a magnifying glass it appears there is the very top of a number 4 in front of the first 2. This would make sense, but what manufacturing plant used an X?

455728465_2812148418950231_8539140306630408666_n.jpg

Last edited:
I would say that the first digit in the part number is missing or unreadable. The date code is for a 1981 transmission.
If it was that new it should also have a VIN stamped on it.

I went back to 63 and they all start out 24xxxxx . So even with the first number missing the second should be a 4. One would have to look it all over for numbers and who knows whats been swapped around in 60 years.

It could be some transmission that was made for industrial use. Who knows what kind of number system an industrial line would use.

I think it is a 1968 transmission, by the single post N/S switch. It takes a different rooster comb to run the newer 3-pin switch. I found out the hard way that the 904's changed from small input shaft to large in 1968, not 1967, like the 727's. If you drop the pan, you can read the date on the valve body. This date is on the area that covers the accumulator piston.

I went back to 63 and they all start out 24xxxxx . So even with the first number missing the second should be a 4. One would have to look it all over for numbers and who knows whats been swapped around in 60 years.
They started out with a 24xxxxx number in 1965 V8 trans, but as the years went on the numbers changed. The last numbers for the V8 904 were 4412002 in 1986.

I think it is a 1968 transmission, by the single post N/S switch. It takes a different rooster comb to run the newer 3-pin switch. I found out the hard way that the 904's changed from small input shaft to large in 1968, not 1967, like the 727's. If you drop the pan, you can read the date on the valve body. This date is on the area that covers the accumulator piston.
Definitely a lock-up torque converter trans so it has to be very late 70's or newer. With non lock-up trans the input shaft splines extend all the way to the end of the shaft. Lock-up units splines end about a half inch short of the end like mine. The trans was in a 67 Belvedere and the guy was switching to a 4 speed so he probably changed out the rooster comb so he could use the single post switch with his original wiring. I'll know more when I get inside the thing and get a date from the valve body.

455695145_2812543415577398_5634702792549503362_n.jpg

Last edited:
Definitely a lock-up torque converter trans so it has to be very late 70's or newer. With non lock-up trans the input shaft splines extend all the way to the end of the shaft. Lock-up units splines end about a half inch short of the end like mine. The trans was in a 67 Belvedere and the guy was switching to a 4 speed so he probably changed out the rooster comb so he could use the single post switch with his original wiring. I'll know more when I get inside the thing and get a date from the valve body.

View attachment 1711931
Is there a VIN number on it?

Is there a VIN number on it?
There is a partial vin stamped on the passenger's side CR1242(5 or 3)9. Based on the build date stamped on the trans and the part number, it was manufactured in 1981 for the 1982 Imperial with a 318 V8. Can't be 100% sure until I get inside and check the valve body date.

The case is an 82 model year, what is inside it is anyone's guess. I know very little about later VINs but according to what I have read C in the VIN is 1982, R is the car's assembly plant.

The case is an 82 model year, what is inside it is anyone's guess. I know very little about later VINs but according to what I have read C in the VIN is 1982, R is the car's assembly plant.
Sounds about right. The part number indicates 82 or 83 Imperial.

Auto Transport Service
Back