• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

idle solenoids

Stucat

Local time
8:08 PM
Reaction score
My question is on how they engage to work? . Meaning, when you turn the key on I know the power goes to the solenoid that locks the plunger. Question is do you depress the gas pedal at the same time as you turn the key? Or before and hold the pedal down till the key engage the power and the plunger pops up? As the solenoid does not have enough power to push up the linkage to open the butterfly a little. Is there some where that has that info? thanks

You sent me a pm but I can’t reply because it’s closed for some reason. But I’ll answer your question here. No idle solenoid has the power to over come the force of the carb spring. Think of it just like setting the choke. My routine is to turn the key to the on position. If it’s stone cold, give it a pump shot of gas to set the choke and the solenoid will engage. The choke cam will hold the carb to the correct fast idle position. My car will start and fast idle. When it gets a little warmed up, touch the gas and the high idle will kick off and it will go to the idle solenoid setting. That setting is higher than your idle screw on the carb. You idle off of the solenoid stop. On a hot start, turn on the key, barely hit the throttle and don’t hit the squirter. That will set the high solenoid to the correct idle and your ready to go.

Last edited:
Yep, I have one on my 67 GTX wired to the AC compressor clutch and when I turn on the AC I have to give it a little gas so it can pop up and hold an increased idle speed.

When your engine is cold, and you depress the accelerator pedal, the carb choke operates and the carb linkage is now on the fast idle setting. So, the idle solenoid is free to move up to its position when you turn the key. Since the idle rpm is lower than the fast idle rpm.

Auto Transport Service
Back