• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Info on 8 1/4 axle.

Richard Davis

Local time
5:10 PM
Reaction score
Someone on Facebook pasted a picture of an 8 1/4 rear end on a pre-72 B Body. According to the rear axle guide 8 1/4 rear ends were installed on trucks and 72 and later B Bodies. The Service Manuals only show 7 1/4, 8 3/4, and Dana's on B Bodies, so I was confused. I saw that I also have an 8 1/4 on my 69 Coronet. After that, several people have stated they too had seen 8 1/4 on 318/904 B Bodies in 1969.

I was wondering how many other people have 8 1/4 rear ends in their pre-72 B Bodies. Since the manual is no help, how do I tell what my ratio is and is there another source for information on these axles.

I had many 69 B-Bodies with the 8 1/4. Never saw a 74 or older truck with one. All trucks were 8 3/4. As far as ratio there should be a tag. Or you can pull the cover and count the teeth.

Auto Transport Service
Back