• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inherited 1969 Charger Back to Life

MJMAULUCCI

Local time
4:00 AM
Reaction score
Hi All, First post here.. My 69 Charger RT SE was inherited from my grandfather. He was the original owner and worked at a Chrysler dealer in the 60s/70s. The car has had a fairly rough life including being side swiped (hit and run see pics) and also had a tree fall and crush the roof to the seat line (luckily it was a city tree and they picked up the tab). When younger he always talked about how this would be my car one day and i have tons of memories that are centralized around this car. About 8 years ago the car was vandalized with a brick (lovely California) which is when I took possession of the car and tucked it into the garage until I was ready to begin bringing it back to life. When my Grandfather passed away in April of 2022, I knew it was time.

For the past two years while going over nearly every inch of this car, I have gathered so much info and knowledge from this forum. Every google search ended in "B Bodies Only" and now that the car is road worthy I figured it was time to share and express my gratitude.

I just finished up installing a Lunati 703 Cam and Lifters, Comp 911 Springs w/Comp retainers and locks, Edelbrock RPM manifold, and 750 Demon Carb which really opened up the car. I did lower the car 2" but next up is some suspension upgrades. Hoping this 727 dies sooner than later so i can have an excuse to 4 speed swap the car.

I am working on decoding the fender tag right now which i have included a picture of.

Enjoy,

Matt

Hit and Run ~ early 2000s :
Charger 1.jpg

Picking up after vandalism:
Charger 2.jpg

Interior now:
Charger Int 1.jpg

Charger int 2.jpg

Exterior now:
Charger 3.jpg

Fender Tag and what I have been able to decode so far
Fender Tag.jpg

V8W?White Rear RT Stripe?
26?
M21Roof drip rail moldings
M25Wide sill moldings
M31Belt Moldings
P31Power Windows
R21AM/FM Radio (5 1/2 Watts)
G11Tinted Glass (all)
G31OS RH Manual Standard Mirror
G33OS LH Remote Standard Mirror
H51Air Conditioning
J253 Speed Wipers
L31Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals
A01Light Package
A47Special Edition Package
B41Front Disc Brakes w/Standard 10" RR Drum
B51Power Brakes
C16Console w/Woodgrain Panel
C55Bucket Seats
A4Silver Metallic
A4Double A4?
CRX?
X9?
909?
E86440-4 HP
D32HD A-727 TorqueFlite
XS29?
L9B?

Last edited:
Welcome. Looks like you did a nice job on it.Grandpa would be proud!

Thank you for preserving that poor thing. Sure has a rare package of options with that A4.

Welcome from Cheese-land. That's a beautiful car! Here's some fill-in-the-blanks.

26 = 26" radiator (standard w/ AC)
V8W indeed codes a white stripe; ...odd
1st A4 = Silver Met. roof
2nd A4 = Silver Met. body

CRX =Trim level:
C = Charger
R = Leather Buckets
X = Black

X9 = Upper door paint - Black
909 = Schd.Prod.Date = Sep 9 1968
note: '69 head rests not yet req.

XS29 = Body style:
X = Charger
S = Special = R/T in Charger
2 = 2-door car
9 = roof type = Sports Hardtop

L9B = Engine/Model year/Assembly plant:
L = 440-4 Magnum
9 = 1969
B = Dodge Main Hamtramck

Matt:
Welcome from Southern CA.
Great Charger backstory there, nice job so far, looks great.

Yes, it's nice when 727's die, and you can grab yourself some gears again !!
I did the same swap, along with many others on this site.

Just nothing like a 4 or 5-speed and a nice drive up and down the coast in California.

Good luck with the rest of the project !!

Welcome to FBBO from NorCal Sierras

Welcome from Alabama, great deserving car. Loaded 69 Charger R/T.

Great job MJ!! Keep your pop's memory alive by DRIVING THE TREAD OFF THEM TIRES!!!

Welcome from Georgia.

Very nice car!

Auto Transport Service
Back