• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

initial set for torsion bars.

Encswsm

Local time
2:00 AM
Reaction score
OK I recently rebuilt my front end replaced all the bushings and installed a Borgeson Steering box on my 66 Charger. When I took the Torsion bars out I forgot to count how many turns it too get them loose. Does anyone have a good Idea as to where toset them to start off? I think I already turned the adjuster bolt 4 complete revolutions from first contact. Im just trying to get it into the ballpark so when I take it off of the lift it will be drivable.
Thanks

What bars do you have? You gonna need a lot more than 4 turns. More like 20 turns starting out, clean and LUBE the threads, no paint!

Once you drive it it will settle down anyway so you will be back under fine tuning the height. Guaranteed!

Only turn the bolts with front tires off the ground.

Start with bolts turned just even with bottom of the lower control arm. They have different length bolts so this can vary depending what you have.

I usually look at how far the bolt head extends below the lower control arm.
I only count turns when making small adjustments.
Try about a 1/8" - 1/4" of thread below the lower control arm for a start.
Set it down and jounce it up and down, roll it forward and backwards maybe 10 feet then check your ride height.
I've found that they will "settle" a bit a bit after driving a couple times.
*Also note that you shouldn't tighten up the strut rod bolts until it you get the ride height close and have the weight on the front end.

What bars do you have? You gonna need a lot more than 4 turns. More like 20 turns starting out, clean and LUBE the threads, no paint!

Once you drive it it will settle down anyway so you will be back under fine tuning the height. Guaranteed!

Only turn the bolts with front tires off the ground.

Start with bolts turned just even with bottom of the lower control arm. They have different length bolts so this can vary depending what you have.
have the stock bars. I will tighten them up more thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back