• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Instrument panel bulbs stay lit after key removed

docepc

Local time
2:02 AM
Reaction score
What could be causing my instrument panel to stay lit with the key removed? Thanks for the help. - Eric

What car? Ford Pinto?

60d0dcdf83532.jpeg

First wild guess would be a worn ignition lock. But the flamming Pinto detour was entertaining.

Opps, you said with the key removed. Your lights don’t require the ignition to be on. Push the light switch off.

What could be causing my instrument panel to stay lit with the key removed? Thanks for the help. - Eric
No matter what car you have I hope you have the battery disconnected. You are either wired wrong or wires are melted together. Dash lights are never key operated.

The flame job is Ironic.. Kind of like this photo Truck full of tires with a flat tire.

utkx5e3og3va1.jpg

Or this one... Irony at its best..
0p1hbv0mt2xpuzmzwlg4_400x400.jpeg

FYI, @docepc we are agreeing with you, that what you describe is bad. very bad. and may mean a melted wiring harness. Disconnect the battery until you figure it out. No point in letting things smolder.

Sounds to me like you have a short somewhere.....

Back in post #6 AR67GTX touched on something as simple as the light switch in wrong position, sending power to the dash lights. Never read any indication the OP or anyone else even read that post or if the OP did read it if he double checked the status of the light switch.

Auto Transport Service
Back