• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Intake question

billpierce

Local time
12:29 PM
Reaction score
I’m looking at an early factory dual quad and I’m having trouble deciphering what it is.
The date code is 2 24 0
Casting number is 1827899-1

I thought the early casting numbers started with the letter?

No on the letter. You have intake for:
1958 350
1959-1961 383

Bolt right on.

If you want it to look cool it will fit the bill. If you are after performance there are better single 4bbl aftermarket intakes.
Yes, I understand that.

if I want to scare myself, I’ll do it on something a lot faster.

Here is the RB equivalent I had on a 426 Street Wedge in my 1964 Polara 500. The single Edelbrock 750 cfm. on the 440 in my '67 R/T could run circles around it. But, 2 X 4's sure is eye candy; never failed to draw a crowd when the hood was up.

42[1].jpg

Last edited:
Here is the RB equivalent I had on a 426 Street Wedge in my 1964 Polara 500. The single Edelbrock 750 cfm. on the 440 in my '67 R/T could run circles around it. But, 2 X 4's sure is eye candy; never failed to draw a crowd when the hood was up.

View attachment 1710794

I like the look. Not sure if I will go this route though. Pretty expensive when you add up everything involved.

Are those 500 cfm Carters?

View attachment 1710794
Before I saw your post, that was the exact expression I was gonna use. Eye candy. Expensive eye candy!

I like the look. Not sure if I will go this route though. Pretty expensive when you add up everything involved.

Are those 500 cfm Carters?
Those are original Carter AFB's from a 1962 Chrysler 300H. I think about 450 cfm. A Chevy friend gifted them to me. They came on a dual-quad intake he needed for his 1957 Corvette project. I found an intake cheap through Hemmings Motor News, from Michigan. The biggest expense was the repro air cleaners. I likely had about $600.00 into the whole setup. This was likely 25 years ago.

I’ve read that the RB 383 was used in Canadian cars til the mid sixties. Do not know the validity of the source. However, I have a friend who swore he had a unmolested 65 Canadian Chrysler that had one in it.
That could be. I haven't seen that reported.

I am pretty sure that RB 383 was all done in passenger cars in 1960. DeSoto also used it. There may have been some truck use, later. I never heard of special Canadian use of it after 1960. However, we did not have 361 in passenger use after 1962, although it was used up here in larger trucks. It was replaced up here by B 383 2- barrel.

Auto Transport Service
Back