• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Iso Clamp removal... Am I missing something?

Hilljack68

Local time
4:06 PM
Reaction score
I'm swapping out the 8.25 rear end in my 73 Charger in favor of an 8.75, and I'd like to delete the iso-clamps. I already picked up a '72 rear end. Instead of dealing with the mis-matched hole sizes on the perches/springs, couldn't I just source springs and shock mounts from a 71/72 Charger and be done with it?

I've read articles and posts until my eyes went all Marty Feldman, and no one has mentioned this as a possibility. Is there something I'm not taking into account?

(And no, I don't want to go Poly for the Iso-clamps; I just want them gone.)

Thanks guys

Yes. It's what I did with my RR. Except I had bushings made cause mine was a 73-4 8 3/4 rear so it needed them for the leaf spring/perch for the other leaf spring locator pin.

Yes. It's what I did with my RR. Except I had bushings made cause mine was a 73-4 8 3/4 rear so it needed them for the leaf spring/perch for the other leaf spring locator pin.
So a 71/72 rear end with 71/72 springs should require no mods?

So a 71/72 rear end with 71/72 springs should require no mods?
I don't believe so just check you shock length I know I have switched those out but it's been awhile I forget what I ended up using.... Also I think they have a different front hanger as far as the bolt size in the front bushing..

Yeah, I'll have to do a little digging. Thanks for the input.

Yeah, I'll have to do a little digging. Thanks for the input.
I used mopar super stock springs when I changed mine over. I did have to put in shims to change the pinion angle. (Not to get this thread banned but I’d like to get rid of the springs.)

I used mopar super stock springs when I changed mine over. I did have to put in shims to change the pinion angle. (Not to get this thread banned but I’d like to get rid of the springs.)
Oh crap, I didn't think about that... the pinion angle. Dumb question, but where did you have to shim it?... on the spring perch?

Yes between the spring and the perch. Mine was off a mile, 7 degrees IIRC.
I made my own shims, so the pins worked out. I had a broken shock mount so I also made bottom plates.

My car is a Frankenstein lol.

Undercar pics are from a few years ago. When I raced this setup I put old school shock extensions on.
The shocks are a plain monroe or something, probably the C-body shock mentioned in the DC manuals.

The shims I made on a CNC so I just milled the big circle on one side and drilled the hole on the other.

Usually when I make stuff I over build it.

I can't remember the year of the housing, it may have been a 71-72, so the center hole may have been different and why I had to make something special. I did all this in the late 80s.

100_0784.JPG
100_0786.JPG
2022-07-22 8.75 Housing-03.jpg
IMG_2513.JPEG
IMG_4190.JPEG
IMG_4191.JPEG

This is a little cleaner. Works better on the strip.

Ladder Bars-02.JPEG

Man, those are serious shims! Thanks for sharing - much appreciated

Told you I tended to over do it, especially back in those days

73/74 spring retaining studs are 3/8” with a hat shaped bushing to accomodate the isolation pad while 71/72 are 5/16” studs.

The 73/74 bushing on studs makes a step on the springs. I would remove those and replace the stud with a shorter piece. The bushing step could interfere with a correct seat of the axle pedestal over the springs.

Auto Transport Service
Back