• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kelsey Hayes Recall Wheel- Reproduced ?

wncmoparguy

Local time
11:42 PM
Reaction score
Back up until 2004, I was an active poster on Moparts.

A member on there began reproducing parts that were nearly impossible to get and for that matter- extremely expensive. My vague memory says he started working with a guy who was either in Peru or Brazil and had a 71 Cuda. They did conversions of flat hoods to shakers, built patch panels to add gills to 'Cuda fenders. I think issues with order volume, arbitrage, and AMD closed down their operation.

Moparts had a lot of Mopar "virgins", said fellowswould find out something new to them, and it became a competition to have it. So where as pre-Moparts a set of K-H recall wheels could be had for $2000 in good condition, post Moparts they got as high as $6000 and went down to $4000-$4200-$4500.

At any rate... A sub-group of the guys who were involved with the Peru project were enamored with the 1969 Kelsey Hayes recall wheels. They were looking at having them cast and then were looking at having them made via use of billet to create a 17" wheel.

I had a set of the '69 K-H wheel, a set of magnesium torque thrusts, and a set of Max Wedge steel wheels with correct hubcaps. One night someone broke into my shop(they had to break in with a concrete saw and a sledge hammer(they left me the sledge hammer). Despite me having so other rare wheels there, the '69 K-H recall wheels, the magnesium torque thrusts and the Max Wedge steel wheels were the only thing taken.

If anyone knows if the '69 K-H recall wheel reproduction happened, when did it happen ? Was it just 14's and 15's or were there 17's ? Are there any out there ?

Also, what subforum here am I allowed to post a wanted advertisement for a set of rims ? Can someone give me the proper link ?

Thanks!

I believe that they were “reproduced” for a brief period by a now defunct wheel manufacturer. As I recall they were made in 17” diameter and had a polished or chrome barrel instead of using a trim ring. I would love to have a set of recall wheels for the GTX but market prices are a dealbreaker. Classic Industries had repops listed as “coming soon” for a few years on their website but they never materialized…

That would of been a guy called Domingo.
Domingo ! Yup- I do not remember the gringo partner(using that good naturedly). I left when the "Pure Stock" stuff began- that tore that place apart and there was more mudslinging and BS... I had it.

I believe that they were “reproduced” for a brief period by a now defunct wheel manufacturer. As I recall they were made in 17” diameter and had a polished or chrome barrel instead of using a trim ring. I would love to have a set of recall wheels for the GTX but market prices are a dealbreaker. Classic Industries had repops listed as “coming soon” for a few years on their website but they never materialized…

The 17's !

I don't know if it was the company that did the castings and billet wheels for "Boyds" and "Foose". I think that their vintage wheel stuff is now a division of Holley, because I remember the same company did 17's for Shelby GT350's, GT500's, and Cobra. They had 5 lug "halibrand" style.

The reason I mention Boyd's is that when he went worm food, suddenly there was a collapse. I remember talking to Arlen Ness(he liked Mopars, I seem to remember he had Zito's Charger and sold it to Zito). Arlen said Boyd and Foose did rough drawings but that was it as far as the wheel business went, and that Boyd put money into the operation and Foose kinda was a diva about designs not being his "sketches"- and when the Boyd Coddington money disappeared, so did those runs of wheels.

I wondered if I was in the twilight zone and I was the only one that remembered the 17's.

Classic Industries not doing them is not surprising.

Last edited:
THANK YOU AND THANK YOU AGAIN !

No, I will never pay $2000 for a set of wheels. I found a set of 15" staggered uni-lug 200S(DAISY aka COKE BOTTLE) wheels for $400 locally. I've got a hub assembly that I have a drum and one setup with a disc hat which both are 5 on 4.5" and they being welded to permanent 5 on 4.5" pattern. They appear to be originally 5 on 4.5" and I can see tool marks where they were expanded to 4.75" to fit a GM

Scott Smith at Carburetor Restoration - Scott Smith
or

Rick Kreuziger at Restorations by Rick Kreuziger

Would be the ones to ask. But as far as I know the project never gained any ground or came to light by either one

There was a recall type wheel produced ( cant remember who ) but they were 15inch only. Chrome rim with a forged aluminum center

I know where a couple sets of originals and a couple sets of the repops are. But as far as I know NONE are for sale
Both guys recently purchased cars that were originally equipped as such . But I can ask . Odds are they would NOT be cheap

My recollection is the recall wheels were available for maybe a couple years and they were 15s. That’s a part I think somebody could do and do well with. Somebody in the past year was asking on moparts about parts that people wanted to be repopped. I’m not sure how serious those boys were, but if they wanted something to go that would be a decent guess.

If I remember right, the recall repops were 15s. But I think the repops could be had wider than the original KH's.
I was surprised to find out that the original recalls were available in 5 on 4" too. They have to be REALLY rare.
There is a member here with carved-from-billet duplicates of the recall wheels, with custom big dollar Avon tires modified with redlines. Absolutely gorgeous, and amazing..... but I can guess what he has in his wheels and tires. Not cheap.
I can't recall his handle here.

If I remember right, the recall repops were 15s. But I think the repops could be had wider than the original KH's.
I was surprised to find out that the original recalls were available in 5 on 4" too. They have to be REALLY rare.
There is a member here with carved-from-billet duplicates of the recall wheels, with custom big dollar Avon tires modified with redlines. Absolutely gorgeous, and amazing..... but I can guess what he has in his wheels and tires. Not cheap.
I can't recall his handle here.
Thanks. I knew I had seen a set or sets that were K-H recall wheel repop's, and I've seen 3 sets of the K-H billet's on different cars- there is a set on a '69 Dodge Charger 500 and they are billet. He bought it as an investment and doesn't know that 17's didn't come on cars in 1969. He also has a set of 15x7's.

When my 1970 R/T SE project car was sold new, it had a set of K-H recall wheels on it. I've seen pictures of the dealership and when the wheels were recalled , the dealer got cross wise with Ma MoPar and the dealer just kept the ones he got back. He stacked 5 or six sets in the back of the parts room. When my car was supposed to be delivered it was to have Magnum 500's, and they arrived damaged, ol' Burke took a set of the K-H's out and put it on the Charger I own. Problem is that I know the first owner and he REALLY liked mag wheels. So he was offered a set of Parnelli Jones 5x4.5 and took them. When I got the car, Tom thought I was crazy to restore it and he kept the PJ's(I know they bring $$$ but I am not a fan).

I've had people who don't know Mopars ask me if the Salt Flats on my Cuda and on this 70 R/T SE are the K-H's and I don't see the resemblance. I do like the Salt Flats design and wish I had found a set of 15's.

Thanks man, I read that general purpose wanted forum, I just figured with the sheer diversity of what is "wanted" I'd have zero chance of actually getting it noticed, and if I missed a wheels subforum, I wanted to make sure.

THANK YOU!
You could also put the advert in the Performance Parts WTB section ------> WANTED - Mopar Performance Parts - WTB

Vision 148 shift with the matte finish look quite a bit like the recall wheels. Reasonably priced imo, and available as 17s.
I have found an even closer match. I am in touch with a machinist at the shop and when mine are cut he is going to request the modification on two points that will make them nearly identical. I want 15"s honestly. I have a 17" salt flat set I picked up at the Nationals back when I did that trip.

Auto Transport Service
Back