• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Late to the Game

fredslast69

Local time
11:45 PM
Reaction score
Just getting a good start on putting 5.7 Hemi in a 69 charger, think I got most of it worked out. Got a 5 speed manual trans coming. I got the motor from a 2008 truck got all the engine harness, computer and all accessories. I plan on using the stock power steering and not sure what pump to use? Do I use the 5.7 pump and change the value or use the old pump and make brackets?

Use the new pump and have some new hose's made. Some say the new pump puts out too much pressure for the box, others have used it without any problems.

One of the engineers I work with came from TRW steering group he told me the new pump would have different pressure but he could not say if it would work or not.
Thanks, I think I will try the new pump.

The 5.7 hemi pumps puts out 11-1300 psi, and the chevy style pump puts out about 950 and I'm using the chevy style (type 11) with the old style factory box and I've got zero issues. Go to hotrodlane.cc and check the late model hemi section, it'll give ya more info.

I have had no problems with the stock 6.1L pump with the old style steering box.

You know, I'm starting to think that all the hype about pressures is BS.

After 30 years of working on car I should have learned not to listen to an engineer. He went on and on about pressure and flow variation and how it would not work.

Engineers are like architects. They sit in offices and draw ****. I stand in mud and build ****

Engineers are like architects. They sit in offices and draw ****. I stand in mud and build ****

Nah not true....Architects get to do more fun stuff. I sit at a desk and stare at paper. Except for when I am at home I work on my mopar.

But I didn't always sit at a desk...spent some time working in a steel mill too.

I usually say...try it, whatcha got to lose?

Ok here's the deal with the pumps, you can use the stock power steering pumps if your running Hydroboost, stock pumps on stock steering boxes on lock to lock will blow there seals, with Hydroboost it uses 200-300 psi so it's safe at that point.
Trust me I'm one of the first that I did a 6.1 in a old mopar and paved the road or many ahead with my R&D

Ok here's the deal with the pumps, you can use the stock power steering pumps if your running Hydroboost, stock pumps on stock steering boxes on lock to lock will blow there seals, with Hydroboost it uses 200-300 psi so it's safe at that point.
Trust me I'm one of the first that I did a 6.1 in a old mopar and paved the road or many ahead with my R&D

I second that.

Ok hate to sound like an idiot but I have never heard of hydroboost? And are you talking about 5.7 hemi rack pump on old 69 gearbox?

Hydoboost is refered to the type of braking, ie., manual, power, and hydroboost. The latter uses power steering fluid to assist in the braking instead of engine vacum.

Auto Transport Service
Back