• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LED Tail lights '68 Coronet

Omni Source

Local time
1:52 AM
Reaction score
Good Afternoon All
Prepping my '68 Super Bee for the trip to the Nationals.
Swapped in LED Taillights in place of the 1157's. Added the proper turn signal flasher. All is well except for one gremlin that I cannot find.
When the turn signal is activated, The rear tail light will flash, however, the opposite side (rear) will also flash dim.
I remember back in the day that the addition of additional ground wires was sometimes needed to make the tail lamps work properly. Had a '69 D100 that I had to do that to.
Added additional ground wires to ground the socket to the frame, but that did not solve the issue.
Thoughts anyone?
All replies appreciated.
Omni

Try jiggling the turn signal stalk with either Signal turned on and see if the opposite lamp goes solid, that'll tell you if it's a turn signal switch issue or something else. I've had a few problems with my aftermarket switch, but zero issues related to my LED bulb swap ...

I swapped in a set of digitails. They came all pre wired with harness. But there was ground wire that had to ground both left and right lens. I’m sure grounding will fix. You just gotta figure out best way to do it. Good luck, you’ll get it!

Good Evening All
I believe that I have found the solution for my 'ghost blinker'. I contacted the supplier that I purchased the lamps from (LEDTRONICS). There advice was to purchase load resistors for each bulb. According their site, these resistors produce heat so they must be mounted away from anything that is combustible or can melt. Having redone the car, I wasn't thrilled about mounting something like this in the trunk. Also the thought of modifying new wire harnesses didn't excite me either. I thought that it might be back feeding through the brake switch, so I disconnected the wires with no change. The addition of ground wires from the socket to the body also did not solve the issue.
I had to figure out how to add SOME resistance without a lot of modification. When I installed the LED's I also installed them in the side marker lights. When the turn signal was activated the side makers would also 'ghost blink'. Perhaps if I reinstalled an incandescent lamp in the side markers that would be enough resistance. I swapped them out and it worked!
So the '68 has two incandescent lamps for the rear side markers and two LED's in the front. No more 'ghost flashing and the stop/turn signal lamps are BRIGHT. I installed red LED's behind the red lenses and they work great.
Thanks to all who responded. The more opinions you can get, the better decisions you can make.
OMNI

What bulbs did you install ? All of my exterior bulbs except for the headlamps are LED, I used 2 no load flashers and have had zero issues. My brake bulbs and front Amber turn signals/ markers are from west coast classic cougar .. https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/plasma2.html .... awesome bulbs !
The rest of my bulbs are from superbrightleds.com ...
NOT sure what the difference is between our 2 cars, but I've been very happy with the upgrade and am plenty visible going down the road !

What bulbs did you install ? All of my exterior bulbs except for the headlamps are LED, I used 2 no load flashers and have had zero issues. My brake bulbs and front Amber turn signals/ markers are from west coast classic cougar .. https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/plasma2.html .... awesome bulbs !
The rest of my bulbs are from superbrightleds.com ...
NOT sure what the difference is between our 2 cars, but I've been very happy with the upgrade and am plenty visible going down the road !
Yep theses are good bulbs

Auto Transport Service
Back