• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lift off a12 hood on 69 roadrunner

sc440

Local time
3:40 PM
Reaction score
I have a 69 roadrunner, tf240 heads, rpm manifold and Holley carb. I am wanting to buy a 69 airgrabber air cleaner was wondering which base to get (440 or 383) does anyone know if the lid will fit up in the scoop the hood is an original one. If it will a am going with the taller low deck one.

I believe the 440 base is shorter than the 383.
It is, was wondering if the lid will clear the hood if it goes up in the scoop that will be fine, not sure if opening on back side of hood is big enough for oval lid to clear it.

It is, was wondering if the lid will clear the hood if it goes up in the scoop that will be fine, not sure if opening on back side of hood is big enough for oval lid to clear it.
Why not use the A12 bottom “ box” type? It works for the 6pk

1724081224567.jpeg

I have a rpm single 4 on there now, does someone make a single 4 version of that air cleaner? Plan is to go 6 barrel with correct style air cleaner just can’t right now. The car is a real a12.

I have a rpm single 4 on there now, does someone make a single 4 version of that air cleaner? Plan is to go 6 barrel with correct style air cleaner just can’t right now. The car is a real a12.
Fiberglass repro’s out there in all configurations of carburetors

A real six barrel hood will have less height at the back of the scoop than the majority of aftermarket hoods.
I'd get the shorter 440 base. There's a reason the 440s are shorter. I'm not sure the 383 will clear at the back of the scoop.
Now, if you had an aftermarket hood.......?

This is a 440 with Indy single plane intake. It's a '70 air cleaner with 383 base but thet doesn't matter - its all going to clear an A12 style hood - original or aftermarket. Your air cleaner will fit with no issues.

image3.jpeg

IMG_1705 (2019_10_02 18_23_09 UTC).JPG

IMG_1707 (2020_05_07 15_22_26 UTC).JPG

IMG_1714 (2019_10_02 18_23_09 UTC).JPG

Ended up with the 440 base, haven’t had a chance to fit it up yet. With the setup on there now the pentastar nut comes within about 1/4” of the scoop

IMG_3840.png

Yeah well, that thing is nowhere to close to the original style aircleaners. The original bases dropped tthings down over the sides of the carb giving mar space at the top, that thing just sits on top of the carb like a hat that's too small for your head.

Yeah well, that thing is nowhere to close to the original style aircleaners. The original bases dropped tthings down over the sides of the carb giving mar space at the top, that thing just sits on top of the carb like a hat that's too small for your head.
lol Yes it’s an old direct connection one I bought in the late 80’s probably about 5” about carb mount.

Here’s a better picture of it

IMG_3841.png

Auto Transport Service
Back