• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking at 2nd gen Chargers

firedome

Local time
3:09 PM
Reaction score
Gents, am going to take a look at a true "barn find" 2nd gen Charger that's been in decent dry storage for about 20 years. Northern central PA car. Though I've had well over 30 vintage Mopars, they were mostly '57 to '64s. The few later '60s models
I've had were C bodies and a couple of Darts/Demons. Am generally familiar with this era of Dodge/DeS/Plym/Chrysler but what specifically in regards to a '69 Charger should I be looking at in terms of evaluation, apart from the usual stuff with any long stored car that I'm already familiar with. I don't speak "Charger language".. yet. It's 383/727, blue. Probably needs about everything but for now I'm focused on body evaluation. Not decided whether to keep and restore or flip as I'm getting old (mid 70s). Thanks for your input folks.

They usually rust in the lower quarters, trunk pan, below the rear window, and the floors. Being in PA, you’ll want to look underneath and make sure it didn’t spend even a few years driving on salt. It doesn’t take much to make the underside crusty. Check to see if the vin and body numbers match (core support, trunk rail). The fender tag and build sheet (can be several places but is usually under rear seat) being present can affect value. Whether numbers match will affect value. Being an XS car vs XP, auto vs 4 speed, etc. The stainless trim for the windows and things like that can add up if a bunch is missing.

Maybe bring some magnets to check for filler. Chris Birdsong has great videos on YouTube specifically aimed at avoiding buying overpriced turd chargers.

You might get lucky and have decent floors, trunk floor, and rear window channel.

The areas of rust are about the same as any Mopar 50 plus years old. The more complete it is the better, as parts are high, especially for Gen II Chargers.

You might get lucky and have decent floors, trunk floor, and rear window channel.
I've owned a few rust belt B bodies that were in better shape than some I've seen from dry western climates. Some factors are whether the underside was flushed out regularly during the car's driving years, and if it was kept under cover, even if it was just a carport. Overhead protection does wonders for the window channel and dutchman panel, typical trouble spots. Lower quarters and trunk inner drops tend to rot, even on otherwise sound bodies. If the trunk floor is clean, with original paint, you have hit the jackpot.

Thanks, good to know, that's helpful. Sounds like same kind of rust areas in general to look for that my 4 fusey Furys had. (pic of my last one). Even SW cars seem to have those problem areas. As it was for sure a driver here I'm sure this has plenty of rust but it's about potential to restore without a complete body take apart that I'm going to be looking at. If too far gone it'll have to be someone else's project.

my '70 F3, now gone.

IMAGE002.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back