• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

lost title

hacksaw

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:35 PM
Reaction score
i talked to someone on here about getting a title on a car that has been lost and OO is dead. can't remember who it was..... anyone help?
here in PA we call it a dead mans title/car. its almost imposable if at all to tag one. we be a notorized title state that requires both partys be there with ID when transfered.

If you could locate executor of the decedent’s estate, might be a path to legal title transfer in PA. Did this when wife’s mother passed.

If you could locate executor of the decedent’s estate, might be a path to legal title transfer in PA. Did this when wife’s mother passed.
i have talked to most of the family. even folks that lived next door to her... no help. her brother was the most help and told me to F off and he is the one that sold.

I bought my roadrunner with no title. Was pretty straight forward in Az. State police check all the hidden vins then run the numbers to see if stolen. Then the DMV used middle book value that I had to buy bond insurance…for $600.00 I think it was. After a year clean title

Pennsylvania should have something similar.

I bought my roadrunner with no title. Was pretty straight forward in Az. State police check all the hidden vins then run the numbers to see if stolen. Then the DMV used middle book value that I had to buy bond insurance…for $600.00 I think it was. After a year clean title

I wouldn't bank on that. Few states do, and the rules for those that have a bonded title program are wildly different.

For example, FL's relatively new program requires an application for a bonded title be for a car that was previously titled in FL.

OP should (if they haven't already) thoroughly research their state's DMV website.

I do not believe PA is a bond state, so you're lucky there. But they won't even start the process without first completing the MV380 (https://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DVSPubsForms/BMV/BMV Forms/MV-38O.pdf). I would complete the form and go to the DMV with it in hand... make sure it's a titling agency location. I've done this for several of my cars... it can be a pain, but the hard part is just taking the first step. Get your head right... it's a ton of red tape, so know that walking in... makes it easier to deal with stupid.

We have Bonded titles here too. It takes a while but the system works.

I do not believe PA is a bond state, so you're lucky there. But they won't even start the process without first completing the MV380 (https://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DVSPubsForms/BMV/BMV Forms/MV-38O.pdf). I would complete the form and go to the DMV with it in hand... make sure it's a titling agency location. I've done this for several of my cars... it can be a pain, but the hard part is just taking the first step. Get your head right... it's a ton of red tape, so know that walking in... makes it easier to deal with stupid.
This is good advice in PA. Was hoping you wouldn't have to go this route. My wife's sister is a court reporter who has sat through many hearings on these. Time consuming and expensive. Depending on the vehicle, may or may not be worth the effort.

Vermont was the best deal for these, sad it got ruined by a$$holes doing shady ****.
I've heard that Alabama is a source for fixing no title but have not investigated it further.
It's a shame that I can pick out a parcel of land somewhere and go to the county get the records of who owns it. Then through the Internet, etc. make contact with them. Cars have nothing but walls and road blocks under "privacy acts". Well if you wanted your privacy you should have transferred the title properly.
PA. is awful about titles. You can't scrap a car without a title, then they will tell you to dismantle (cut) the car so it cannot be recognized as a car to scrap it. So they promote you being a chop shop? Whatever, I hate PA's attitude toward this. State safety inspection is another that boils my blood. Disassemble my car to tell me it is or is not ok to drive.
Rant off

PM me, I may be able to help.

no..PA is not a bonded state... and to that point thay don't take out of state bonded titles nether. the 62 i got in TX is a bonded title and PA will not take it... so the 62 mite be a mess as well.
im thinking im going to do the court ordered thing. i have done it on my ram charger. took a year to get a court date. but was only 50 bucks for that part. to get it put in my name and tagged was 700 bucks at the DMV...
as for the jeep in question. it was never in my name and the seller is now dead. so i can't get a MV-380 sence the last owner on file needs to do it with ID for the notery.
and AL has gone the same as Vermont. folks have used it for bad things so that is that. i have a brother that lives in jasper and that was no help.

Auto Transport Service
Back