• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lower steering column bearing help please

dspur

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:42 AM
Reaction score
It has been a while since I took the steering column apart and, while I took pics, this portion was so corroded that the bearing came off in pieces. I’m ready to reassemble, 69 Super Bee, floor shift.

Looking at the pics, does the bearing go in and then the shaft slid up through from the bottom, as would be the case with pic 2? Or slide down from the top as in pic 1? I want to get this right so it does not screw me up when I assemble the upper portion. Trying g to save a redo.

I can’t find a diagram that is clear enough for me to determine.

TIA

IMG_3221.jpeg

IMG_3222.jpeg

I think the pin in the end of the shaft will dictate how its installed.

I think the pin in the end of the shaft will dictate how its installed.
Thanks. It will as it will not be the correct length if not installed correctly, same goes for other end as well. I'm just trying to get it on the correct side to avoid having to change it later.

It will as it will not be the correct length if not installed correctly,
?????????

As long as you don't pound the coliapsible shaft and snap the plastic pins the length won't change.

I'm talking about the pin that the steering coupler blocks fit on - I believe that one is press fit. So the bearing can't go over that end.

Yes I agree... I understand the coupler etc. If you look at the pic, the second one, the raised area on the shaft, does it go to the top of the bearing (once installed in the tube) or the bottom, the raised part will not slide past the bearing once installed. I apologize that I am doing a poor job of communicating...

Anyway, I will figure it out.

Auto Transport Service
Back