• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Magnum SBM in a '65?

Krooser

Local time
4:50 PM
Reaction score
Ok....getting closer to installing the 318 into my Coronet.

I would like to run Magnum exhaust manifolds and was planning on having a friend do the exhaust work.

Problem... He sez he is done with exhaust work.

There's a guy in my town that does muffler work but his skills are not in custom work.

Will TTI or Pypes build manifold pipes to fit the Magnum manifolds?

I would think you should be able to find a local shop. If its not what they sell I doubt it.

I would think you should be able to find a local shop. If its not what they sell I doubt it.
Once I get this thing road ready I'd like to get the exhaust done without having to trailer it ... With my buddy out of the picture and the local guy a dubious choice I'll have to expand my search.

Another friend bought a Duster that another local shop did...I know the guy but did not realize he had a bender.

He bent the header pipe so close to the engine that you can't get the oil filter off the block! My friend had to use a mini size filter when he changed the oil. He had a hell of a time destroying the full size filter to get it off the engine.

I just scratched him off the list, too.

The closest town with muffler shops are 20 and 35 miles away. I'll have to do some searching.

Go to a junk yard and find a dodge van/dakota/ram and cut the pipes off that you need then graft them into the exhaust system. You know what exhaust manifolds you have find a vehicle in the scrap yard that has them and repurpose them.

Go to a junk yard and find a dodge van/dakota/ram and cut the pipes off that you need then graft them into the exhaust system. You know what exhaust manifolds you have find a vehicle in the scrap yard that has them and repurpose them.
That's a last resort that I have thought about.

I'm not a guy who needs fancy parts to make me happy. But a well thought out exhaust makes life easier ... I like to have good access to the oil filter, starter etc.

Good ground clearance, too.

I missed a deal on a complete, nearly new system last fall when a local guy went stainless on his '64 and sold his whole system for $150.

Maybe I can win the used lottery...

That's a last resort that I have thought about.

I'm not a guy who needs fancy parts to make me happy. But a well thought out exhaust makes life easier ... I like to have good access to the oil filter, starter etc.

Good ground clearance, too.

I missed a deal on a complete, nearly new system last fall when a local guy went stainless on his '64 and sold his whole system for $150.

Maybe I can win the used lottery...
Ma-Mopar has already designed the turn down for you. :)

When doing a performance build on my teen a few years ago, was made aware that finding headers to fit wasn’t a vast selection. Only outfit I was aware of, besides some custom made, was TTI, forking over for those. Tight fit. Had to get a mini-starter and use the short oil filter that has me accessing it from the inner well panel to remove, set it on the header, then lift it out from the top. Put plastic bags under the filter in case of spillage. The power steering connection is about tight against the block.

Developed a problem hearing what sounded like a tuning fork noise when the car was hot when turning the wheel. Found out the cross link was playing the violin on the header and the pitman zerk was sheared off marring the T-bar. A new pitman solved the problem, but the clearance is – tight. Less than ¼”. I’d give more like 1/8”, and that’s the satisfactory fit..

I found new tubing flanges in various lengths are available to mate to the manifolds that allow you to fan new down pipes.

There's also a well known header fabricator not far from me. He has done a lot of oval track stuff over the years...his family has been involved in the sport for decades. He's even built headers for those TV street racers!!!

Might pay him a visit.

Auto Transport Service
Back