• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Man Knows He Must Have Heard A Dave Matthews Band Song Sometime In His Life But Can't Place Where Or Why

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:37 PM
Reaction score
Jun 20, 2024

Article Image

AMES, IA — A local man experienced a brief moment of consternation today as he came to the realization that he must have heard a Dave Matthews Band song sometime in his life but couldn't place where or why.

Dale Roberts paused during his routine morning tasks with the sudden acknowledgment that he had, in all likelihood, heard one of the songs by the Dave Matthews Band at some point, though he had no recollection of what on earth it was or how on earth he heard it.

"Yes. Yes, I know it had to have happened. No idea how, though," Roberts said. "They were a pretty big mainstream act back in the day. I must have heard one of their songs during my life. When did it happen? Where was I? Anyone's guess is as good as mine. Weird, right?"

Dave Matthews Band, known for several unknown songs, was a popular musical group among an unidentifiable group of people during an indeterminate time period. A recent study showed a majority of adults between the ages of 35 and 55 admitted to having heard at least one of the band's songs but did not know how, where, or why.
"It's a mystery to me," Roberts continued. "I vaguely recall a distinct musical sound with a violin and random bursts of saxophone, with a guy singing whose voice sounded like a broken French horn, but… yeah. That's all I can't think of."

At publishing time, Roberts had resolved to seek counseling to get to the bottom of this missing period in his memory.

As accomplished a Guitarist as he is, his music was all cookie-cutter, repetitive, and boring. You would think he could maybe do better, but as evident, he is stuck in a rut... music-wise...cr8crshr/Bill :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

I kind of lump them in with Blues Traveler. They both hit roughly the same time and there's obvious
musical talent in both bands - actual humans playing real musical instruments, as opposed to the vast
majority of pablum being spit up by the music industry these days.
I can listen to about anything written and performed by actual talented humans on real instruments...

That said, neither are exactly my cup of tea.

i feel i have known one of there unknown songs at sometime, somewhere . it will come to me at sometime….

I went to see him at Great woods. He was good live. My wife is a fan and wanted to go to the show. I was surprised to see that Sirius radio gave him his own channel on there! He had maybe three songs that got airplay on the radio!

He is here all weekend in WI - I was asked to go but declined

Place gave me the chills walking down the hill to our seats - Gave up on the grass many many moons ago when all hell was taking place during some years

My favorite place for concerts over the years - The stories we could tell from the 80s and 90s when they allowed tailgating in the free parking lots - The stuff I saw and witnessed

Stevie Ray Vaughan passed away leaving this place one night

IMG_0332.jpeg

He is here all weekend in WI - I was asked to go but declined

Place gave me the chills walking down the hill to our seats - Gave up on the grass many many moons ago when all hell was taking place during some years

My favorite place for concerts over the years - The stories we could tell from the 80s and 90s when they allowed tailgating in the free parking lots - The stuff I saw and witnessed

Stevie Ray Vaughan passed away leaving this place one night

View attachment 1683168
Stevie Ray, one of the best.

It's a mystery to me," Roberts continued. "I vaguely recall a distinct musical sound with a violin and random bursts of saxophone, with a guy singing whose voice sounded like a broken French horn, but… yeah. That's all I can't think of."

Well.
I know where I was one night in September 1973. (There was no sax at the live concert.
Just some very strange dudes dancing in the shadows. )

Mott The Hoople: Mott (1973)
"All The Way From Memphis," is just about the best thing they ever did, a rollicking anthem with one of the greatest sing-along choruses of the era, something that always deserved far more classic rock attention than it received. (Personally, I find the one limitation of the song to be the extended sax contribution from Roxy Music's Andy Mackay,

What happens when a 50s "Greaser Band" drops in from outer space.

Jun 20, 2024

View attachment 1682430

AMES, IA — A local man experienced a brief moment of consternation today as he came to the realization that he must have heard a Dave Matthews Band song sometime in his life but couldn't place where or why.

Dale Roberts paused during his routine morning tasks with the sudden acknowledgment that he had, in all likelihood, heard one of the songs by the Dave Matthews Band at some point, though he had no recollection of what on earth it was or how on earth he heard it.

"Yes. Yes, I know it had to have happened. No idea how, though," Roberts said. "They were a pretty big mainstream act back in the day. I must have heard one of their songs during my life. When did it happen? Where was I? Anyone's guess is as good as mine. Weird, right?"

Dave Matthews Band, known for several unknown songs, was a popular musical group among an unidentifiable group of people during an indeterminate time period. A recent study showed a majority of adults between the ages of 35 and 55 admitted to having heard at least one of the band's songs but did not know how, where, or why.
"It's a mystery to me," Roberts continued. "I vaguely recall a distinct musical sound with a violin and random bursts of saxophone, with a guy singing whose voice sounded like a broken French horn, but… yeah. That's all I can't think of."

At publishing time, Roberts had resolved to seek counseling to get to the bottom of this missing period in his memory.
:rofl:

Like most bands, I liked some of the stuff but not always the whole album....but really did like SRV!

Like most bands, I liked some of the stuff but not always the whole album....but really did like SRV!
He would often say that he was just a "channel" for the music he played - that it came from somewhere
and flowed right through him and out.
There were moments in live performances where you could actually witness that - he uniquely had that
ability to go somewhere else and just let it rip, wherever it was going....

Hendrix might also have been that way sometimes (drugs may have played a role in that), but that display of
being an actual conduit to where the music comes from is very, very rare.
There was everybody else - and then there was SRV.

Ian Hunter, rock's great underdog: 'Bowie thought I was the head of a motorcycle gang'
Like so many things in life, I never appreciated how good of a song writer Ian Hunter is till I got older and had the internet to closely examine the songs and background.
Waterlow and Ships are just two.

• Andy S. from MinnesotaHunters 1979 Album was my favorite album of the entire 70’s, with the possible exception of The Band’s “The Last Waltz” soundtrack. Ian once said in an interview that rather than England, he’s always felt like a guy from Alabama who’d rather be driving a Ford Pickup. He’s always been underrated by the general populus, but in the music world - they know he’s always been a genius..all the greats revere him, and see him as the genius he his.

Auto Transport Service
Back