• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manifold and air cleaner clearance

Randy Wilson

Local time
2:16 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a 440 Edelbrock RPM. Manifold with a factory 69 unsilenced air cleaner and had had hood clearance problems. Application is 69 Plymouth B body

To your original post, yes, I think there will be a problem. I also think you can make it work. This is not from personal experience on a 69, just feedback from others, so take it for what it’s worth.

To your second question, the shortest performance aftermarket intake is the old CH4B. It is 3/8” taller than factory. Again, I think some folks have gotten that to work.

I suggest you seek feed back from those that have done exactly what you are doing.

To your original post, yes, I think there will be a problem. I also think you can make it work. This is not from personal experience on a 69, just feedback from others, so take it for what it’s worth.

To your second question, the shortest performance aftermarket intake is the old CH4B. It is 3/8” taller than factory. Again, I think some folks have gotten that to work.

I suggest you seek feed back from those that have done exactly what you are doing.

I can confirm that a CH4B works with an Air Grabber, one has been on my GTX since the early 80’s…

I've got a Mopar M1 Dual Plane under my 70 Airgrabber air cleaner but will try my DP4B when I rebuild the motor. Of course, the six pack intake / air cleaner works just fine as well.

The regular Performer is only an 1/8” taller than the CH4B. So maybe it would work too. But I don’t know if it’s any better of an intake than the CH4B.

I've got a Mopar M1 Dual Plane under my 70 Airgrabber air cleaner

The M1 dual plane is dimensional and port size the same as the factory cast iron. It’s advantage is solely in its weight savings.

The regular Performer is only an 1/8” taller than the CH4B. So maybe it would work too. But I don’t know if it’s any better of an intake than the CH4B.
I’ve always wondered why the performer replaced the CH4B? Isn’t the replacement supposed to work better than the old one?

Everyone seems to believe that the CH4B is better than the new Performer. First, I don’t know that to be true-never saw data, second, what is the definition of better?

I suspect that the Performer might be better in some aspects over the CH4B, but maybe not in overall power. I also suspect it is better than the factory manifold. Again, all speculation.

Everyone seems to believe that the CH4B is better than the new Performer. First, I don’t know that to be true-never saw data, second, what is the definition of better?

I suspect that the Performer might be better in some aspects over the CH4B, but maybe not in overall power. I also suspect it is better than the factory manifold. Again, all speculation.
In a hot rod magazine manifold shoot out, they used the CH4B -Weiand 8008 and performer RPM. They never even considered trying the original performer.

Auto Transport Service
Back