• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manifold heat riser question

RJ Squirrel

Always in the wrong hat at the wrong time
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:21 AM
Reaction score
This is an Edelbrock performer 440 manifold, what is supposed to cover these heat riser ports? Are they intended to be left open?

01C5DD34-D0D8-44E0-A39A-C7FE4231E990.jpeg

Well, no. That open area is just, open.

Thats what I thought too, it directs warm air to the carb but I thought it would be wise to ask before I seal the valley and manifold on there- thanks

Its open like that to swallow your valve cover bolts. Don't ask me how I know.

The "bathtub" (valley pan) intake gasket seals it.

View attachment 1676656
1969 there was a recall on my A12 for intake valley pan leak.
Took it in for the recall and picked it up the same day, drove away and only got a few blocks away and the engine started to make a loud noise . I turned around and went right back pulled in the shop right in front of the check in guy and he yelled at me to TURNE THAT THING OFF.. The mechanic that did the job came over and they pushed it into his area, He realized what he had done, he put a shop rag over the area to keep from loosing anything down the engine, Forgot to take it out and reassembled, Pulled the pan and the pickup was completely clogged. I stayed for the whole takedown this time. Never had and issues after.

oneid. They tor it down

Auto Transport Service
Back