• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mechanic says he can’t work on your car because they’ve officially been locked out of computer systems

Ransomware recently hit but man, my cars are too old for that mess lol

Becoming the norm these days because of $$$ and the bad actors know what brings the most bang when they hit someone. We have seen Dentists offices, healthcare facilities, and many others because they rely on one service provider for their services. Service provider gets hit due to lack of security and now all the firms that rely on them are screwed. At least they could still work on the cars and use paper invoices.

It's effing nuts!!! And the majority of the rasomware aholes are located in Russia and they are allowed to do this if they don't attack businesses in that country. F them!!!

Not sure what he is whining about. I am a member of a professional machinist association at about $400/yr, and an additional ~$400/year for the machine shop version of "AllData". This is a part of doing business and a hell of a lot easier than hunting the internet to get incorrect data. Pay the bill, and adjust your prices accordingly to pay for your "Overhead"...

Or this!!! Could it be of our own doing here in order to push and push more towards the EV mandating that the Feds are pushing for so damned hard for??? Just could be a basis as well. cr8crshr/Bill :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

We had that referendum on our ballot last year. Maine voted against the big companies doing that! In Maine, and I would imagine in many states, the small time, great mechanic is the best in the state! We couldn’t do without them!

We had that referendum on our ballot last year. Maine voted against the big companies doing that! In Maine, and I would imagine in many states, the small time, great mechanic is the best in the state! We couldn’t do without them!
But please don't take this down the political rabbit hole.....

son had a water pump replaced on a 21 ram earlier this week, got the parts but took 3 days. That was the excuse.

But please don't take this down the political rabbit hole.....
Nope wasn’t planning on going there any further. Just wanted to let folks know that we need em!

Not sure what he is whining about. I am a member of a professional machinist association at about $400/yr, and an additional ~$400/year for the machine shop version of "AllData". This is a part of doing business and a hell of a lot easier than hunting the internet to get incorrect data. Pay the bill, and adjust your prices accordingly to pay for your "Overhead"...
What is the machine shop version of Alldata?

It's the opposite for me. I work on my car  when my computer isn't working. If it starts playing up I go "f this, I'm going to wrench on the Plymouth".

Luckily my car and tools are literally outside my office door, so if that computer slows a fraction...I'm outta there!
20231119_181641.jpg

Just look up CDK system that got hacked. Not all dealerships use it but the ones that do were the ones affected. I talked to several dealerships around here and most say the got rid of the CDK system.

Auto Transport Service
Back