• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Medical Alert Systems

themechanic

Oklahoma is OK
Local time
5:54 PM
Reaction score
Mom is 81 and moving to a house to live by herself since my little sister passed away January 2020. She is like most folks her age prone to tripping an falling, stroke and the beginnings of dementia.

So, I am reaching out to anyone who has information about the various medical alert systems/services on the market. She is an AARP member. She will have a landline unless we get one of the cellular/GPS systems (aka mobile systems that goes where she goes).

I'm sure many of us can either use the information ourselves or have elderly folks we care for who would benefit from a medical alert system.

Thanks in advance.

Try "Assistive Technology Services" a few years ago I researched the same for my elderly Mother. I just retired past January as a 911 Dispatcher for 33 years. Most services have antiquated equipment. I even tried several hospitals nearby. All had the same problems. They charge you $40 approx a month and supply you the equipment. Ask them if the base station is the only point of contact, meaning you have to be able to hear them yelling to you and be able to yell back. Keep in mind if she has multiple rooms and has difficulty hearing. Also what is the range of the receiver. The one I purchased was about $250 and now probably $300. There is no monthly fee. You select if you want her phone to dial 911 first or up to five numbers of people that can come over before it dials 911. There is an automated call stating her name and she needs help, if home press this button and you will be direct with her. My moms had a pendant or is worn like a wrist watch. And super important it is a two way conversation on a lithium battery. They give you a spare and is charged at the bas station. You change it depending on use about one a week or more. Range: the one we purchased would reach into the back yard. Some now have an option to be worn in a shower. I can remember some of the problems with the monthly fee ones: no information on the client, any hidden key, no health information, no weight information. Some people are heavy enough that when we paged be advised of the weight so they would know if they needed extra personnel. Lastly some 911 agencies have a 911 service that will get alot of the info about the patient, home health info, key holder etc. This is helpful if she dials 911 and cannot talk. This is no cost. Typically where ever the calls are answered is where this info is kept. You update the info and control it. Hope this info helps you. Do your homework, be informed and make the best choice for her.

My Mother-in-law passed away on Feb. 25 at our house. She had been living with us for a week.
She was 98! She had a thing on a lanyard that would call us on our phone if something happened, (which it did)
and we were there in a jiffy. Near the end she started "loosing it" and we made the decision that she couldn't be by
herself anymore. Like I said, she was with us for about a week. Close call! Glad she was with my Wife when she passed!
Living by herself in a house is not easy! Good Luck.

My Mother-in-law passed away on Feb. 25 at our house. She had been living with us for a week.
She was 98! She had a thing on a lanyard that would call us on our phone if something happened, (which it did)
and we were there in a jiffy. Near the end she started "loosing it" and we made the decision that she couldn't be by
herself anymore. Like I said, she was with us for about a week. Close call! Glad she was with my Wife when she passed!
Living by herself in a house is not easy! Good Luck.
Sorry about you loss.

My research revealed there's no perfect system. Especially, if they don't use it or wear the button device.

I purchased an annual contract with Medical Guardian for the Home Guardian System for Mom. It comes with choice of 2 remote devices (2 necklaces, 2 wrist bands, or a combination) that have a range of 1300 feet. It uses cellular technology that basically calls one phone number that connects within seconds to MG's support staff. I decided on this system as Mom rarely leaves her home and is with someone when she does. The necklace is small and light and she can tuck it under her blouse. I have her test the system every week until she has muscle memory (reacts without thinking) if/when she needs help while she's home alone. MG has a list of 4 of Mom's kin to call , depending on the situation and whether she needs immediate medical assistance. In that case, they will also get an ambulance to respond.

There is an up-charge for the GPS device that has 2-way communication with the wearer of the device, regardless where they are, as long as they are in GPS range. It costs about $10-$20 per month more and the devices are a bit larger to accommodate the speaker. The wearer can get help when they are away from home with this device.

Fall detection is sketchy, from what I've read. There's also another up-charge of $10 per month for it. So, we didn't opt for that. If MG staff is unable to reach Mom when she presses the distress button they will immediately send medical assistance and notify family members.

We will have to wait and see how it goes.

Pros: Price, equipment, ease of installation
Cons: Getting old enough to need a medical alert system

https://www.medicalguardian.com/

Auto Transport Service
Back