• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mickey Thompson 426 Hemi valve cover differences

HersheysHemi

Local time
7:14 AM
Reaction score
Hi
I want to search for M/T valve covers for a 1969 426 hemi.
I have only been able to find the 1964-65 K series valve covers for sale.

Are all 426 hemi valve covers the same shape from 1966- up?

Did Mickey Thompson even make valve covers for the later 1966 and up 426 hemi?

I'm a first time Mopar owner so I still have a lot to learn.

scan0014-7.jpg

Yes, Mickey Thompson made 426 Hemi valve covers for 66 and up in black wrinkle and polished aluminum. I bought several sets when Graitiot Auto had them on sale for $19.95. They aren't very desirable because of having no breathers or oil fill. I've seen those people trying to sell them for big bucks. What a joke. And yes, 66 and up are all the same.

Yes, Mickey Thompson made 426 Hemi valve covers for 66 and up in black wrinkle and polished aluminum. I bought several sets when Graitiot Auto had them on sale for $19.95. They aren't very desirable because of having no breathers or oil fill. I've seen those people trying to sell them for big bucks. What a joke. And yes, 66 and up are all the same.

Do you still own them?
Would you be able to share some pictures of what they look like?
Thank you for your reply.

No, I sold them. But they looked like the photo you posted. I got this photo off the internet. As I said before it's hard to use them on a street car with no breather provision and no way to add oil. I feel the ones sold thru Mopar for 20 years are the best. There is Ansen that you can still buy new, but they aren't my favorite. And there is those fake KB's on ebay. The ones in my avatar are my favs. But I painted those orange.
s-l650.jpg

How the heck do you add oil to the engine with those?

You take the valve covers off after every pass in Top Fuel so it's not an issue.

I found these ads for breathers.
Looks like you just drill a series of holes and attach them from the inside.
It's hard to beat the look of these valve covers for a vintage look.
My roadrunner was a Plymouth dealership's drag car from day 1 and is still stuck in the 1970's.
Thanks for the information.
I wasn't aware of the Mopar version of finned valve covers.

scan0016-8.jpg

scan0018-7.jpg

You will still have the problem of adding oil. I've run cast valve covers on a Road Runner. It's not easy to get them on and off. I had to use bolts instead of studs. And I hate bolts on valve covers. Do yourself a favor and forget the M/T. They're not very 70's anyway. Chrome is. Find some of those. If you want cast, get the Ansens. Drill out the holes from the back with an 11/32" drill because they don't fit. I can find you breathers.

You will still have the problem of adding oil. I've run cast valve covers on a Road Runner. It's not easy to get them on and off. I had to use bolts instead of studs. And I hate bolts on valve covers. Do yourself a favor and forget the M/T. They're not very 70's anyway. Chrome is. Find some of those. If you want cast, get the Ansens. Drill out the holes from the back with an 11/32" drill because they don't fit. I can find you breathers.
Sorry guess I never saw your reply.
Bummer. So they are a pain to take on and off?
People just ran stock chrome valve covers in the 70's?
I think chrome valve covers would technically be correct because it was a "race hemi" not a street hemi car.

The only Race Hemi's that came with chrome valve covers were 64-65. But most everybody's Hemi race car in the 70's had chrome valve covers. Black painted valve covers are totally unsexy and don't let the beauty of the big Hemi engine come out. And cast would be hard to put on and take off. I see chrome in your future.

If you called a chrome shop nowadays....well, it's a little shocking. You have to buy repops.

Ok. No I haven't personally had anything chromed lately.
I know it's very hard to find a good chrome shop now days that does quality work.
I live in California and used to work at a antique car restoration shop.
California cracked down on the chemicals used for chrome plating forcing most counties to not be able to do chrome plating anymore.
Shops will say they are a chrome shop but they just send it down to mexico and don't tell you.
I restored a 56 Ford Fairlane for a family friend a few years ago and she purchased new chrome bumpers for her car from the bumper boyz.
When I unpackaged her rear bumper the chrome was already peeling off.

Do you have a source for chrome valve covers?
Cheapest repop I'm finding is $1800
Mancini racing sells new black wrinkle finish valve covers for $350

That guy from New York (restomod or something like that) has been selling them for years on ebay. He started out at $110 or $120, keeps jacking up the prices, hopefully he will get some more soon. I think the last batch started out at $300 and he kept raising the prices as his inventory got lower. Be sure to look close at them when you get them. The quality is hit and miss. Bolt holes lining up, pinholes etc. Good luck. Hopefully he will get some soon.

That guy from New York (restomod or something like that) has been selling them for years on ebay. He started out at $110 or $120, keeps jacking up the prices, hopefully he will get some more soon. I think the last batch started out at $300 and he kept raising the prices as his inventory got lower. Be sure to look close at them when you get them. The quality is hit and miss. Bolt holes lining up, pinholes etc. Good luck. Hopefully he will get some soon.
Ok thank you

The guy selling the repo's will probably have a high reserve, followed his stuff. Pain to deal with a reserve it's like he puts a high reserve to see how high the bidding goes. Then relist it with the reserve around high bidder.

The guy selling the repo's will probably have a high reserve, followed his stuff. Pain to deal with a reserve it's like he puts a high reserve to see how high the bidding goes. Then relist it with the reserve around high bidder.
Ok thanks. I wonder why no one else is selling reproduction chrome valve covers?

Auto Transport Service
Back