• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MIG welding wire size question.....

I have run the .030 with the .035 tips I had in the head and have had no problems. Thinner than that? I don't know for sure.
In theory, I'd think that the risk we run is that the excessive clearance around the wire could induce folding of the wire if you're pushing too much speed and the wire isn't "melting" fast enough.
I've never went thinner than .030 but I've read of guys using .025 on sheet metal. I've considered trying it since I've always danced between burning through or piling up the weld. Thinner gauge wire seems like it would be more forgiving.

I use both in my Lincoln with no issues (.023 and .035). Just switch the copper tip.
Mike

Last edited:
Your wire feed rollers might slip if they're .035

Some rollers can be flipped for different sizes.
Yup.....my rollers can be done that way. My machine is a very old MillerMatic 200 and I will check them out before loading the spool through the hose/liner.

According to the Lincoln rep I talked to some years back at the SEMA show, I told him I was having weld quality issues running .023 in my Power Mig 215. He asked, did you change the liner to run the smaller size? Duh, no. Said it needs to be sized to the wire. Therefore I bought a new liner. .023 in a .035 liner can lead to contact issues so the current doesn't hit the wire consistently. Hotdog in a Hallway. But sometimes you get lucky and can skip it. The machine has no problem running .030 in the .035 liner.

According to the Lincoln rep I talked to some years back at the SEMA show, I told him I was having weld quality issues running .023 in my Power Mig 215. He asked, did you change the liner to run the smaller size? Duh, no. Said it needs to be sized to the wire. Therefore I bought a new liner. .023 in a .035 liner can lead to contact issues so the current doesn't hit the wire consistently. Hotdog in a Hallway. But sometimes you get lucky and can skip it. The machine has no problem running .030 in the .035 liner.
Did you change the nozzle tip like mentioned in post 4? After thinking about it, years ago someone told me to do that when inquiring about using a smaller wire. Never did use a smaller wire so I forgot about it and after reading post 4, it came back to me. The .035 wire in my machine has been in there since 84 and well, by the time I spool off 100 feet of wire, there probably won't be much left on the spool. I have a new still in the wrapper .025 wire and may as well use it and it should do ok for the sheet metal that I need to weld. I'm going to find out soon I hope.

Just try it, Cranky. It'll only cost you a few feet of wire to know if yours will be okay. I switched down to .023 in mine with no issues.

I have a Lincoln welder, and they list the same liner .023-.035
Screenshot_20240827_130440_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Miller Matic 250 for me. I just swap the rollers and the tip. Seems to work just fine.
Doug

I did swap the contact tip too. Have .023, .030 and .035 in the tray.

I did swap the contact tip too. Have .023, .030 and .035 in the tray.
I'll give what I have on hand a shot....will mostly be doing spot welds but will see if it will do a bead too. If not, I'll get the smaller liner.

I run .023 in .030 liner on a miller 200 with tip and roller change. It really likes lincoln .023 wire on sheet metal, am told lincoln wire has or had more silicon in it.

I run .023 in .030 liner on a miller 200 with tip and roller change. It really likes lincoln .023 wire on sheet metal, am told lincoln wire has or had more silicon in it.
What I have is a 2-lb spool of Lincoln .025 wire L-56. Not even sure if it'll fit the machine or not. Just assumed it will. It's been laying around for awhile but is still in the original plastic wrapper. Maybe I should open it up and see what it looks like lol

Changing out the liner and tip helped but my machine still struggles on less than 18ga. Always a battle. Even though it shows its good for down to 24ga, it doesn't like to do it. 16ga and heftier, no problem. Down the road when I can swing it, both it and the tig will get replaced with more up to date machines with more parameters to use. Can't wait as I've used some of those features at school and trade shows.

What I have is a 2-lb spool of Lincoln .025 wire L-56. Not even sure if it'll fit the machine or not. Just assumed it will. It's been laying around for awhile but is still in the original plastic wrapper. Maybe I should open it up and see what it looks like lol

If there's no rust or dust on it it should be good to go. If it does it will clog up the guide right after the rollers and also the liner. Not good. Even with brand new wire it doesn't hurt to put one of those felt wipers on the wire.

Auto Transport Service
Back