• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

modern stereo in a 73

oldcane

Local time
4:40 PM
Reaction score
Well, I know all my posts start out with "my wife..." and this is no different.

My wife is wanting to put in a modern CD player stereo. I just wonder for those of you that have done this, do you usually put it in the golve box? What's a popular model that fits and doesn't cost a fortune?

Oldcane
If you wife wanted to keep the dash stock(no cutting), and upgrade to a radio with AM and FM plus input for i-pod etc, check out http://www.woodradios.com/
I know the owner and have seen and listened to his conversions. They look 100% stock, but have all new electronics. The sound is awesome!

I put in a radio delete plate in my gtx then made a aluminum plate and mounted it in the glove box...
Petty Blue 67 GTX

I mounted a modern CD player under the dash using an under dash mounting kit.
eBay - TVC104 Underdash Stereo Install Dash Mounting Kit

Going in the glove box really limits what radio you use and didn't want to spend $500 on an updated radio.
eBay - 1971-74 Mopar “B” Body AM/FM/Stereo Reproduction Radio

Radio1.gif

I guess I'll need to see if under the dash will work on the passenger side. I know from experience if we put it on the drivers side I won't be able to drive it.

I just went through this on my 72 rr GTX. I wanted to keep the original look. I kept the stock AM radio in place and installed a Hideaway Radio made by Secretaudio SST. http://www.casmfg.com/Secretaudio.htm

It consists of a receiver that can basically be put anywhere in your car (glovebox, trunk, under seat), a small LCD display, and an RF remote. The RF remote is the key because since it operates via radio frequency, you dont have to worry about pointing your remote directly at the receiver (which would be an issue if mounted in glove box).

The receiver and LCD screen are mounted under the drivers seat in my car. I actually installed the screen upside down incase I need to see the screen I can look at it between my legs. Also has an Ipod cord which runs under my seat as well. They have 2 versions, one with CD changer and one without. I got the one without the CD changer because I honestly dont own CDs anymore, it ran me about $300. I couldnt be happier, nobody would ever know its there and preserved the stock look.

For speakers, I went with a new 4x10 with 2 built in tweeters for the front dash, and 2 6x9s under the rear package tray. Mounting the 6x9s was a pain because my car has factory rear defrost, so the blower was mounted where one of the 6x9s should be. I used long bolts to mount the speaker and just put the blower below the speaker using those same bolts.

It sounds pretty darn good to me. Obviously you arent going to have significant bass because of the lack of a subwoofer, but overall sound quality is great. I still love the sound of my 440 anyways! I have pictures I will try and post at some piont this week.

Auto Transport Service
Back