• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern transmission problems

ws27

Local time
2:27 PM
Reaction score
Hope the mods don't mind if I ask this here.

Is there anyone here who is familiar with a 99 Dodge 46RE transmission in a van?

I'm having problems that I think are an easy fix.

If anyone can help, please PM me contact info, it would be much appreciated!

Rich

What sort of problems? The 46RE is what used to be called the 518 and shares ancestry with the 727.

Let me guess, governor pressure sensor issue?

That's what I thought, but I tested it and it seems to be within range.

The 1-2 shift occurs late depending on throttle pressure. Then 2-3 shift occurs when it should, which is almost immediately after the 1-2.

The van sat a lot, it only has 42k on it in 16 years, I'm thinking it might have a sticky 1-2 valve, but I don't know where that is on the valve body. I looked it up on a 727 and I think it is in the same location, not sure.

There is no slippage, just this one gear shifting late.

I thought I'd get as many opinions before I open it up, so I don't open it up too many times.

Any help is appreciated.

I should have pulled the pan first, I thought I'd do electronic diagnostics first and that just complicated things. Always check your basics first!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o72UiLrtG8A

Go to 5:45 and you will see what fell out of this thing.

Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate the help.

Rich

Well, no, checking for codes is the easiest thing to do first. Nit just dropping the pan. Once that is ruled out then you go for the mechanical. You were right to check it the way you did. You didnt complicate anything.

Auto Transport Service
Back