• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mopar Performance valve covers; recommended gaskets

Billccm

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:09 PM
Reaction score
My 68 383 has Mopar Performance valve covers. I've read the various threads on FBBO on valve cover gaskets (Moroso and FelPro fiber), but I get the assumption these are for stock valve covers.

I also see a 50-50 opinion on RTV vs dry. Personally I have not had much luck with RTV, but let me know your opinions and experience.

Any recommendations, or advice on what to order for my application?

My leak is manageable today, but I want to get parts on order for that time window when I'm looking for the easy Saturday morning job.

Thanks, and take care!

Stock heads ? With those valve covers you should be good with the blue moroso gaskets. Superformance makes a nice set as well.

Hi, I use Indian head shellac
_DSC8843-001.JPG
on the bottom of the valve cover. Let it tack up.
Use Fel-Pro Performance 1610 Blue cork/rubber gasket the ones with the blue stripping.apply the gasket to the valve cover .let it set up good.allow time to dry before starting the motor
Use high quality studs (ARP) not bolts to hold down the valve covers. No goop on the head side. Install clean and dry and don't over tighten them, after running tweak them a little and check on them from time to time Good Luck
81IAPrOWi7L._SL1500_.jpg
FEL-1610_xl.jpg

Last edited:
I was looking at reviews on Summit and I think without the cutouts for those retaining tabs(you don't have?) that the 1612's wud be better? Haven't changed for over 20yrs and looking to do it soon. I also only glue to the cover.

Good luck to ya, I have the black wrinkle covers on aluminum heads and used a felpro black rubber gasket, for I think a 70 or 72 c-body...they worked for awhile but began to weep again after about a month. Slight re-torque didn't help, it's frustrating.....

Hi, I use Indian head shellacView attachment 492736 on the bottom of the valve cover. Let it tack up.
Use Fel-Pro Performance 1610 Blue cork/rubber gasket the ones with the blue stripping.apply the gasket to the valve cover .let it set up good.allow time to dry before starting the motor
Use a high quality studs (ARP) not bolts to hold down the valve covers. No goop on the head side. Install clean and dry and don't over tighten them, after running tweak them a little and check on them from time to time Good Luck View attachment 492745View attachment 492746
Bingo. I've been using Indian head for over 45 years

I also used the Felpro cork gaskets with Permatex #2 on both sides when installing mopar valve covers and have no leaks.

When I changed the cam in my '69 383 I used a rubberized Felpro gaskets on the Mopar Performance valve covers. Left bank sealed, but the right bank leaked. The only way I could seal it was with RTV.

Back in my 2.2l Mopar ownership days (autocrossed a Shelby Charger and Shelby Lancer) I used the 'Right Stuff' from Permatex to eliminate valve cover leaks. Any opinions, or experience?

It is my understanding that these MP aluminum valve covers do not have the contour that matches the factory head creating space that is hard to fill therefore creating a sealing problem. I have a set of MP aluminum valve covers and I haven't stopped the seep as of yet.

I have had good luck with the Moroso Perm-Align Valve Cover Gaskets 93055 (Rubber with steel core) and use out of the box...no RTV...no leaks yet. They are about $45 a pair.

Motor - Demon.jpg

If I ever have my heads off again I'll mill the valve cover sealing surface. It's hard to get a good seal on a shitty casting.

Never really thought about it but if you have casting flaws I'd be looking for a thicker gasket. Perusing(?) the Summit site I noticed several different thicknesses available.

Thanks, mopower.

So, the 1.5 inch thread length is what I need (just to confirm)?

Auto Transport Service
Back