• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More on fuel pump pushrods

Car #4

Local time
3:05 AM
Reaction score
I replaced my pushrod a few weeks ago and was lucky enough to find an NOS Mopar Performance one from 2007. There's a lot of talk about poor quality rods but I think it should be a good one. So now I'm looking for a good spare and it's doubtful that I'll find another NOS rod, but if you have one let me know. I know that one out of an old engine is likely good but I don't have a good line on one of those. So, I had read that Mancini has a handle on this situation and has a good replacement. I talked to them and they said the one in the first link is the way to go, made of hardened steel, and they're seeing good results with them. Does anyone have any experience with one of these? It makes me wonder because it's $16.99 and all others are $25-40.
What about the Hughes rod in the second link? Does anybody have input on those?

Mancini Racing Fuel Pump Pushrod

Hughes Engines Hardened Fuel Pump Pushrod

Mancini and Hughes most likely get them from the same place.

Don't know anything about the Mancini brand, but the one's from Hughes are junk. I tried one and it lasted 500 miles.

How frigging hard.. pun intended.. is it to harden a push rod? If I had to buy today's junk I'd be tempted to heat it red and throw it into a can of oil.

If someone were to take a factory pushrod and take a hardness reading on both ends,
we would know how to check if the replacements are junk or not. Maybe I can get my
hands on one and check it! We shall see what we shall see!

How frigging hard.. pun intended.. is it to harden a push rod? If I had to buy today's junk I'd be tempted to heat it red and throw it into a can of oil.
That is what we did.

I'll use a good original pushrod before I would buy anything new. Anytime I get one from a yard for a spare they have .01"-.02" wear at most, and that took over 50 years to do it.

Don't know anything about the Mancini brand, but the one's from Hughes are junk. I tried one and it lasted 500 miles.
Swell. I've had a new one of those hanging on the pegboard as backup for a few years now, on the advice of someone
on this forum. :lol:

Swell. I've had a new one of those hanging on the pegboard as backup for a few years now, on the advice of someone
on this forum. :lol:
I have the Hughes hardened pushrods in two of my cars. One has 2500 miles on it, the other a little over 1000. No issues yet.

Auto Transport Service
Back