• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MSD 2 step with line lock and 4 speed

PeteyDaMan

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:40 PM
Reaction score
Guys,
I'm looking at getting the MSD 8732 step controller to pair with my MSD6AL.
Their instructions show using a relay so that the 2 step will activate with the clutch switch and line lock, releasing both with the clutch is dumped.
Has anyone done this?
I already have a clutch switch on the ground side wired to the starter relay.
Trying to figure out if I can use a switched ground signal instead of 12v to activate the system but it looks like I can't

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

MSD8732.JPG

The starter relay has a neutral safety lug that is is activated via a negative connection from the neutral safety switch on the clutch pedal.
It's very low amperage as it's a relay so it doesn't need a big switch.

The starter relay has a neutral safety lug that is is activated via a negative connection from the neutral safety switch on the clutch pedal.
It's very low amperage as it's a relay so it doesn't need a big switch.
You can still use that factory switch If you add a relay. The switch can still work as your starting safety switch. You will be using your negative switching relay to activate the relay. The relay will then send the power to terminal 30 on your diagram.

Not sure why you would need a relay in the system. You really don't need to complicate the 2-step wiring with the line lock circuit. All you need is a simple roller micro switch and a bracket fabbed to your clutch pedal stop. The problem with using your factory clutch safety switch is that when you shift with the clutch it engages the 2-step. I wire 2 micro switches in series on my 2 step circuit. One on my pedal stop and the other one is depressed by the first gear lever on the transmission. That way the 2-step is only engaged when the clutch is on the floor and the trans is in first gear.

Gus

roller switch.jpg

The problem with using your factory clutch safety switch is that when you shift with the clutch it engages the 2-step.
Only when he has it activated by the push button switch. I agree he could add another switch but he wanted to use the factory switch for both functions. That's why I suggested adding a relay.

The diagram I put in the initial post (from MSD's instructions) says that the 2 step and line lock activate only during staging. The idea of the second relay would be to use the existing 12v- signal from the clutch switch to a 12v+ signal to the 2 step.

I was just hoping to hear from someone that has actually used the MSD setup as drawn.

Auto Transport Service
Back