• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My brothers with dogs-heartworm medicine question

davek

Local time
10:28 PM
Reaction score
So Riley and Thor are over 100 pounds, vet said do the 1 year shot of ProHeart 12. I dont know anything about this shot. What are you guys using or are you against it? My last Rottie live to 16 and never had heartworm med. My best friend has 5 dogs and is against just about any shots. His dogs are his kids. Thanks Dave

dragweek 110.jpg

We used Simparica Trio for several years, until my wife after reading several negative articles about it made the switch to 'Heartworm only' chewables. The other protected against fleas, but ours are indoor dogs so don't have much of a problem with them. Read up on the negative side effects of some of these drugs, a lot of them we'd never take as humans.

I was using Sentinel with no problems,they dont make it for over 100lbs. Vet said I could double up on it.

Simparica Trio

Inside dog
IMG_20231123_195927439.jpg

I was using Sentinel with no problems,they dont make it for over 100lbs. Vet said I could double up on it.
Same stuff I used "now" IIRC it's Rx (by prescription) only...

there was another one I used prior, don't remember the name exactly
I think I got it from Tractor Supply (?) or maybe the vets inhouse store (?)
when they made you have a Rx for any of it here, Heartguard (? maybe)
pill form, no shots

I've never done the shots, not for any of my animals
I never had any real issues with heartworms either, dogs are mostly indoors
unless out to pee or poo or training playing, twilight hrs are supposed be the worst
dawn & sunset
Mine were a chewable pill, monthly prevention maybe the deterrent (?)

But the rescue/foster dog I had Bubba had heartworms,
when I first started fostering him
I had to bring him in, they did a week or more worth of inhouse vet treatments,
mega doses of some shots I believe too
'allegedly killed them off'
the rescue org. FOAC.us paid for, I know it was expensive too...
No idea what they used, or I don't remember when they told me...
that was 9 years ago

Bubba, pointer lab mix
Bubba 7-26-2015 on deck.JPG

Last edited:
I have always given my dogs "heartguard" (ivermectin") monthly, as instructed by the vet.......... Rebel just got his dose the other day

The vet discovered heart worms in our dog when he was 4 years old or so. The treatment was a shot and the vet wanted to keep our dog at the office. I said no to leaving him there and chose to take him home. I only live about 5 minutes from the vets office and by the time I got our dog home, he was barely able to get in the house. He laid down on the floor and it looked like his heart was about to explode for a while.
I think the vet didn’t want us to get upset with the effects of the treatment. I know that I didn’t want to go through that again and we kept him on the prevention treatment. He lived to be over 14 years old.

I couldn't remember, the gf handles that stuff for our dogs, but Eldubb post reminded me. Our dogs get heart guard, and advantage flea stuff.
I LIKE the fact it's ivermectin.

Auto Transport Service
Back