• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Roadrunner Will Not be Down For Breakfast

Bruzilla

Local time
4:39 AM
Reaction score
So, I get off work yesterday and had to drive my 74 Roadrunner over to the body shop to start getting the bodywork and paint done. My daughter drove my Police Interceptor to bring me back in, and she was playing the role of Catwoman at the screening of the new Batman movie at 8:30 last night and had to be at the theater by 5:30, so we were sailing along.

I get off the highway and turn onto the surface streets and poof! The Roadrunner starts sputtering for a few seconds and dies. The cars been running like a top since February, and now, just a mile from the body shop, the engine decides to call it quits. There I am stuck by the road, in the rain, in my dress clothes from work, and no tools. I whistled up my lovely sister-in-law to take my daughter to her engagement, and went off to find a tow.

I went looking for one of those non-chain, been there-done that, repair places and found one just a mile away. I knew I was in the right place when I walked in and the owner asked "what can I do for you young man?" Being 51, I wanted someone older than me who actually would know what a Roadrunner is. I told him my sad story, and he dispatched his tow truck guy to fetch my broken bird while he took me out to the back of his shop and showed me his "kids". He had several old 60's Ford and Chevy racers out there, and a super-nice 69 Roadrunner that he used to race down in Gainesville.

So, my poor car is over there and I'm awaiting to hear when I can go get her and take her over to the body shop.

:laughing9:good explanation of a crappy situation. sounds like you lucked out on the shop. it has to make u feel a little more relieved. here is hoping it is a mickey mouse fix and you will be having breakfast again shortly:headbang:

great luck on the shop find,bad luck on the dead car.hope it is something simple like fuel pump.let us know how it comes out,good luck!:grin:

Good luck, I hope you get the Big Bad 74 Bird back on the road soon, then back from the body shop in great order too... I personally don't like anyone else to work on my cars, when ever posssible, but sometimes a situation will come up, when your just stuck/screwed & you have to do, what you have to do...

I think you had a great attitude with the situation, hope its something simple, at least something that can be fixed enough to get you home or the body shop and make the proper repairs yourself. Seems every time you get this close to the finish line something happens. Good luck Bruzilla!

whistled up my lovely sister-in-law

Is that old guy talk for "was able to find my reading glasses in the dark and then was able to see the buttons on the phone to find my sister in laws number"?

LOL

Glad it worked out so that bird isn't sitting on the side of the road over night. goolies would have been all over it.:hello2:

I'm actually relieved. When I saw the title I was afraid the car was wrecked or gone...)

-=Photon440=-

Me too.

Any idea what it might be?

Better watch that car's personality traits!

About all I could do was take the fuel line off and check the gas, which there was plenty of. I'm guessing it's an ignition failure.

I called the shop yesterday morning, and was told by the kid that answered that the boss was going to be working on the car, and the shop owner called me last night to apologize for the delay but he had been at the hospital all day and would start working on the bird first thing tomorrow. I guess he either wants to do the work himself or doesn't trust his carb-challenged young guys to know what they're doing. :)

Sometimes it's just worth the wait! When that happens to me,the wife drives down and gives me a car so I can fetch my flatbed.It helps being in the "biz":happy7:

Attachments

• 7.22.12 008.jpg
    7.22.12 008.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 266
I got home yesterday and saw several boxes on the front step. They were for the stripe and decal kits for the car. :( Talk about depressing.

I'm actually relieved. When I saw the title I was afraid the car was wrecked or gone...)

-=Photon440=-
I thought the same thing! Dang, why do y'all title things like that lol

Just got a call from the mechanic. Apparently my tried, trusted, and true Accel Supercoil won't be down for breakfast anymore. It's dead. the first time one of those big yellow bricks ever let me down. :(

Oh well... on to the body shop!

That's good news

Just got a call from the mechanic. Apparently my tried, trusted, and true Accel Supercoil won't be down for breakfast anymore. It's dead. the first time one of those big yellow bricks ever let me down. :(

That's great news, easy & cheap fix... :headbang:

I have a stock coil out there, if it will help its yours, i bought it and didn't need it so i kept it just in case, I use the Accel super coil myself. Just Pm me if you want it, ill send it out no problem.

first time for everything!

glad to hear it was only a coil!!!

have you seen it for yourself yet? is the mechanic taking it to the body shop, or are you pickin her up and takin her to the BS shop??

Auto Transport Service
Back