• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Tiretreds glue on whitewall install

gtx6970

Local time
12:03 PM
Reaction score
Recently decided to pull the 15inch redlines and magnums . In favor to put the stock rims and wheel covers on the car.
So I bought some whitewall tires and the 1inch wide stripe is just too much.

So found these on ebay and decided to give them a try
Redline tires Permanent DIY rubber kit Set of 4 | eBay
They originally only showed a red stripe in 3/8inch and a 1/2inch white stripe.
So I asked if they could make a 3/8inch white . and sure enough.

Luckily my tires have an edge I can follow to get the stripe on in something like a straight line. But my 1st one has some small wobbles in it so it will go on the rear where its partially covered by the body panel'

Best advice. ,,,, do NOT pull them in any way to glue them down as you work around the perimeter of the tire
Just apply the glue and let the stripe lay naturally. Trust me it works much better. Work a few inches at a time. I used a small roller to push them down about 5 inches at a time. Let that area sit maybe 30 seconds. Then move on with the next section/ Work slowly,,,but surely

20240911_165242.jpg

20240911_170635.jpg

20240911_170649.jpg

20240911_171256.jpg

20240911_171347.jpg

Last edited:
Im taking it to a show Saturday about an hour away.
So fingers crossed no issues with them

Who sells reasonably priced 14" steel wheels anymore?

For those scoring at home, wheels are very easy to ship. Go to the tire store and get wheel boxes for free. They will be for 16,17,18" wheels so fill in around them with packing material.

Shame you ain't close.
I have several you can have for free.

But I ain't shipping rims
Yours look new. Maybe I'll just paint mine, maybe not... I have the original full wheel covers.

Bill, what do you think of those Vercelli 787 tires? I was looking at purchasing some Hankook Kinergy ST 14” tires for mine. I have them in a 15” BW tire on a Corvette and have been really happy with them. But they do have a bit of a busy, modernistic sidewall.

Bill, what do you think of those Vercelli 787 tires? I was looking at purchasing some Hankook Kinergy ST 14” tires for mine. I have them in a 15” BW tire on a Corvette and have been really happy with them. But they do have a bit of a busy, modernistic sidewall.
No complaints. I bought them because they were the cheapest whitewall tire I could find. My thoughts were they would dry rot or age out long before i would ever wear them out.
BUT when they arrived the stripe was a little wider than I preferred. I could have lived with a stripe in the 1/2" range. But these were almost a full inch wide.

Thus how this entire conversation of the stick on pinstripes came about.
My goal is swap back and forth between these with wheel covers versus my magnums / redlines combo.

I took it to a C+C event in town and then a smaller local show over the weekend and got A LOT of positive comments on the look.

They are quite going down the road and seem to ride nice. Especially for the money.
I looked at the Hankook's, but didn't like the sidewall and price was a factor for the reasons above

Bought them here - 4 Tires Vercelli Classic 787 215/75R14 98S AS All Season A/S | eBay

I have them mounted on a 6 inch wide rim ( couldnt find the correct 5.5inch hemi car rims, ) Im not worried about the correct rims when you cant tell what rims are on it with the wheel covers installed.

Last edited:
No complaints. I bought them because they were the cheapest whitewall tire I could find. My thoughts were they would dry rot or age out long before i would ever wear them out.
BUT when they arrived the stripe was a little wider than I preferred. I could have lived with a stripe in the 1/2" range. But these were almost a full inch wide.

Thus how this entire conversation of the stick on pinstripes came about.
My goal is swap back and forth between these with the wheel covers and magnums / redlines combo.

I took it to a C+C event in town and then a smaller local show over the weekend and got A LOT of positive comments on the look.

They are quite going down the road and seem to ride nice. Especially for the money.
I looked at the Hankook's, but didn't like the sidewall and price was a factor for the reasons above

Bought them here - 4 Tires Vercelli Classic 787 215/75R14 98S AS All Season A/S | eBay

I have them mounted on a 6 inch wide rim ( couldnt find the correct 5.5inch hemi car rims, ) Im not worried about the correct rims when you cant tell what rims are on it with the wheel covers installed.
Yes, that’s part of my hesitation on the Hankooks, the sidewalk is busy and may interfere with adding stripes. By the way, I’m using 6” rims too. Had them powder coated a couple years ago.

I would probably start with black walls. It would be nice if they have a mold or ridge line around the side wall to use as a go-by for applying the stripes. Did your sidewall look pretty much like this one on EBay?

IMG_1441.png

Mine have a nice 'RIB' that goes all the way around the tire, Gave me a very nice line to follow so to speak . ( outer edge of the white stripe in this photo)
It looks like the one you referenced, do not have said rib

I just took a wide black sharpie to the whitewall and turned them in.

When / If the time comes the ink wears off. I'll just do it again

tires.jpg

ps, That said Im not against he idea of someday putting a redline tire with the wheelcovers.

A friend of mine has an extra set of F70-14 redline bias ply tires already mounted I may end up with at somepoint. So I can have a choice of 3 different looks

or I might get fancy and just dye these whitewalls red , maybe. I kinda like the pinstripe look

I think I’ll give them a try. The ads always contain a note that the sidewall design may vary from those pictured but I think I can make either work. I’m planning on a 14” set for the 66 Satellite w/blue stripes. If I like the outcome then I’ll probably order a set of 15” ones to replace the 20+ year old ones on my GTX and put red stripes on them.

Thanks

I still have the set of BFG belted T/A's that I bought in 1984 on my 67 R/T. They probably have less than 500 hours in the sunlight. No cracks at all. The car has been out of the garage exactly once since about 1996 and that was in 2006, the last time it was driven. I had to move it from one garage to another, about 300 ft. None of my present neighbors have ever seen it, although in the past 3 weekends I'm sure they may have heard it as I have been starting it now regularly after several systems have been refreshed. Hopefully it'll get down off the jack stands and out into the driveway in the coming weeks.

Auto Transport Service
Back