• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Narrowed Rear End

grubby65

Local time
9:31 PM
Reaction score
Put my 1964 Polara up on the lift to measure the brakes for rebuild and inspect the axle bearings due to a slight growl I was hearing. This is the sight that awaited me.
IMG_1976.JPG

IMG_1980.JPG

IMG_1981.JPG

It appears when the previous owner had the rear end narrowed the flange did not get welded on square. Does anyone have a suggested vendor to get a replacement, narrowed, housing from?

Put my 1964 Polara up on the lift to measure the brakes for rebuild and inspect the axle bearings due to a slight growl I was hearing. This is the sight that awaited me.
View attachment 514383
View attachment 514385
View attachment 514387

It appears when the previous owner had the rear end narrowed the flange did not get welded on square. Does anyone have a suggested vendor to get a replacement, narrowed, housing from?
Moser will.

http://www.moserengineering.com/hou...5m-housing-axle-package-inch-part-number.html

View attachment 514383
View attachment 514385
View attachment 514387

This appears to be one of those "home" jobs done by a guy who just bought a welder and didn't have anything to do. It's just completely all wrong including the spot where he cut the housing tubes. Re-cutting and straightening is not an option. You could pick up another housing and have it done right which would be the cheapest route or have one custom made by the people who do this for a living. Moser is about the best out there but it's just a housing so you might want to explore other routes and use the savings to buy a properly sized axle. He may have shortened and welded that as well.

This appears to be one of those "home" jobs done by a guy who just bought a welder and didn't have anything to do. It's just completely all wrong including the spot where he cut the housing tubes. Re-cutting and straightening is not an option. You could pick up another housing and have it done right which would be the cheapest route or have one custom made by the people who do this for a living. Moser is about the best out there but it's just a housing so you might want to explore other routes and use the savings to buy a properly sized axle. He may have shortened and welded that as well.
I was wondering if you could explain more what you meant by "the spot where he cut the housing"? Is it the area to the left of the U-bolt?

Auto Transport Service
Back