• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nascar at LeMans

VicsGarage

Local time
4:06 AM
Reaction score
Hey,

I made a video covering the story of the 1976 LeMans when a Dodge Charger and Ford Torino from Nascar went over and raced in France.

Thought it was a pretty cool story for those who are interested.

That may have been around the time that they had some stock cars running at the 24 hours at Daytona also. Buddy Baker was entered in a Chrysler Kit Car and doing well till he blew, I believe, a trans.

Thanks!

They have recreated McGriff's Charger from an old Petty Enterprises car (73-74 body rather than 72) and run it in vintage events including LeMans. It was built in the US and I was invited to go to Portland OR, hang in the pits, and watch them test and tune it before it was shipped to Europe where it now lives. What a day it was.

Prior to testing, the tribute car was on display in Downtown Olympia and parked in front of a tavern where, of course, Oly was on tap. Dick Pierson, still a PNW local who was one of McGriff's crew at the 76 LeMans was part of the recreation effort and travelled to France once again some 30+ years later when the tribute car made its debut. Dick was kind enough to sign the dash plate in my 72 Charger road race car. They were all very pleasant people to hang out with!

Hershel McGriff is a NW icon to those that follow racing. Coincidentally, all 80-something years old of him is visiting my local 1/4 paved oval next weekend.

Thanks!

They have recreated McGriff's Charger from an old Petty Enterprises car (73-74 body rather than 72) and run it in vintage events including LeMans. It was built in the US and I was invited to go to Portland OR, hang in the pits, and watch them test and tune it before it was shipped to Europe where it now lives. What a day it was.

Prior to testing, the tribute car was on display in Downtown Olympia and parked in front of a tavern where, of course, Oly was on tap. Dick Pierson, still a PNW local who was one of McGriff's crew at the 76 LeMans was part of the recreation effort and travelled to France once again some 30+ years later when the tribute car made its debut. Dick was kind enough to sign the dash plate in my 72 Charger road race car. They were all very pleasant people to hang out with!

Hershel McGriff is a NW icon to those that follow racing. Coincidentally, all 80-something years old of him is visiting my local 1/4 paved oval next weekend.

Yeah I saw some footage of it running. Its a great looking car. Love the stance

There had been some smaller bodied cars running in the SCCA series that did well on the road courses...most notably the E body cars and kinda wonder why those cars weren't used instead of the bigger B cars of NASCAR back then. Rules? IIRC, some A body cars ran in SCCA too?

There had been some smaller bodied cars running in the SCCA series that did well on the road courses...most notably the E body cars and kinda wonder why those cars weren't used instead of the bigger B cars of NASCAR back then. Rules? IIRC, some A body cars ran in SCCA too?

Lots of good info on the original car, class, rules, etc. and recreation effort here:

http://www.theroaringseason.com/showthread.php?2080-Article-Olympia-Charger-Returns-To-Le-Mans

The article is incorrect in stating that the USAC Petty Ent. car was painted up into the McGriff scheme in Europe. It was done in the US. The team also had built a 72 Charger into a look-alike as well, but it was not a vintage stock car.

Notice its says, "na$car".
Na$car used B bodies, per na$car rules.
SCCA used E bodies but they were big and heavy compared to the competition, especially with the mandated 305 inch engines. They weren't very successful.

Auto Transport Service
Back