• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help identifying an A833 four speed

WikedCharger

Local time
8:44 AM
Reaction score
Good morning,

I found an A833 transmission locally and wanted to get some input from the experts here. The seller said it came out of a 1968 Plymouth GTX. Below are the pictures and ID tag. Is this a bolt in to my 1968 Charger?

Thanks for any help.

A833 transmission 1.jpg

A833 transmission 2.jpg

A833 transmission 3.jpg

It's hard to say but looks like an eight on the first of the VIN which would be a 68 transmission... And from the picture of the input shaft looks like a 23 spline to me not an 18 spline

So, they’re saying that it looks like it’s maybe a ‘68 trans, but need a better look at the number. It did NOT come out of a ‘68 GTX. It probably is a bolt in for your Charger unless your Charger is a 440 or Hemi car.

Good morning,

I found an A833 transmission locally and wanted to get some input from the experts here. The seller said it came out of a 1968 Plymouth GTX. Below are the pictures and ID tag. Is this a bolt in to my 1968 Charger?

Thanks for any help.

View attachment 1702570

View attachment 1702571

View attachment 1702572
What's the spline count and diameter on the input shaft? 18 splines = Hemi / Six barrel engine. 23 splines = regular 440 & 383 engines.....
BOB RENTON

So, they’re saying that it looks like it’s maybe a ‘68 trans, but need a better look at the number. It did NOT come out of a ‘68 GTX. It probably is a bolt in for your Charger unless your Charger is a 440 or Hemi car.
I ran a 23 spline behind my 440 Charger for 18 years, just need a different clutch

Verify what you're getting. People sell overpriced mismatched crap all the time as something it's not.

Wouldn't pay more than $600 for a used 23 spline

Wouldn't pay more than $300-$500 for a bellhousing and it needs to be for a big block and preferable for a 68 and in good shape. You can buy new bellhousings for this price.

Woudln't pay more than $150 for a correct used shifter mechanism that works. $200 if it included the linkage and levers.

Buy your own NEW clutch unless you can verify which clutch they're selling

Does it still sound like a good deal?

What's the spline count and diameter on the input shaft? 18 splines = Hemi / Six barrel engine. 23 splines = regular 440 & 383 engines.....
BOB RENTON
Hey Bob, didn’t the 440 4bbl motors get 18-spline also???

Hey Bob, didn’t the 440 4bbl motors get 18-spline also???
I don't think so.....just the Hemi and six barrel engines with the Dana 60 rear.....maybe with the Trac Pac options? My RS23V0A****** with the A34 super trac pac option has the large diameter 18 spline transmission......just my opinion....?
BOB RENTON

I don't think so.....just the Hemi and six barrel engines with the Dana 60 rear.....maybe with the Trac Pac options? My RS23V0A****** with the A34 super trac pac option has the large diameter 18 spline transmission......just my opinion....?
BOB RENTON
Negative, 440 4bbl got the 18 spline as well (and the Dana 60).
To the OP the bearing retainer size varies with which transmission as well. Meaning you have to have the correct bell housing to match the bearing retainer size.

Auto Transport Service
Back