• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help identifying Mystery distributor in 318. Looks like a Mustang CJ's Parts

jim6669jim

Local time
8:32 PM
Reaction score
Hi new here. Old to Mopars. I recently bought a 68 Ply with a 318. It has an electronic distributor, but its not Chryslers. No visible markings.
Looks like this one:

It has a weird 8 point star gear. It needs a new cap and rotor, but the stock Chrysler doesn't fit.
The carbon button in the cap fell out.
Unfortunately CJ's doesn't sell the cap & rotor separately. It must be Chinese, but whose did they copy?

I found an identical dist on Ebay for an RB engine. Red cap , same vacuum advance and weird chrome bulb for electronics.

TIA

dist106_1.4507.jpg
Mystery_distributor_318.jpg

Last edited:
Google is answering.... looks identical to "Ready-to-Run" distributors sold under several names.

The chrome cover on the outside of the distributor body is covering a GM style module.
That confirms its a ready to run distributor.
Do yourself a favour and remove that chrome cover and throw it away because the module needs to be cooled and that cover is just creating more heat.
Once the module overheats it stops working and no more sparky until it cools down.
I found that out the hard way on my buddies Christine car with a 440.

Thanks BeepBeep, ordered two sets from the 2nd link.

As an aside, the carbon conductor in cap was laying outside its hole and later fell out! Car still ran fine, but it's a poor design.
Nothing wrong with the design, it's the execution that's the problem... Center electrodes have been used for at least ninety years..

It's they way they do the spring. Most used a raised springy copper tab from the rotor, while this one uses a flat copper tab and a small coil spring behind the center electrode to provide contact. But something has to hold the electrode in. I will find out when I get the new one.

Hi new here. Old to Mopars. I recently bought a 68 Ply with a 318. It has an electronic distributor, but its not Chryslers. No visible markings.
Looks like this one:

[/URL][/URL]​

It has a weird 8 point star gear. It needs a new cap and rotor, but the stock Chrysler doesn't fit.
The carbon button in the cap fell out.
Unfortunately CJ's doesn't sell the cap & rotor separately. It must be Chinese, but whose did they copy?

I found an identical dist on Ebay for an RB engine. Red cap , same vacuum advance and weird chrome bulb for electronics.

TIA

dist106_1.4507.jpg
View attachment 1707201
IMO.....the BEST thing to do with this hermaphrodite is replace it with something that, is currently available....many to choose from (even points and condenser). The problem with what you have is....parts availability, especially when on the road.....@HALLIFAXHOPS would be able to recommend something......
BOB RENTON

Last edited:
Re: ".. currently available.." Spot on. Took me four hours on Google to find the cap and rotor.

But here's the thing...

Autozone charged me $22 for just the cap and rotor to a std distributor.

The ReadyToRuns I now see on Ebay from several sources for as low as $47.
So for the price of a couple std rotor+caps, I could get a complete spare that eliminates the ignition module and ballast resistor and associated wiring.

Tempting. But I'm not buying anything till I see the reason why the first cap failed.
And see how hot the chrome cover gets. :)

It is actually a Bosch dist [ or Chinese/Speedmaster copy] . They had the 4 pin module under the cover on the side of the dist. P/up assy is also Bosch, very similar to the GM design. Good design, module passes slightly more current than the GM module. Used on many Aussie cars.

Auto Transport Service
Back