• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help identifying Racer Brown camshaft

67charger383

Local time
2:00 AM
Reaction score
I bought a NOS Racer Brown STX-22 cam that was advertised as for a big block.

I test fitted it in my block and it seems right but just a tad different than other cams I have.

Could it be a 426 Hemi cam? Would a Hemi cam even fit into a B/RB engine?

It seems like everything lines up good.

If my suspicion is correct and it is a hemi cam, could it still be run in a B/RB motor? I’m aware of the hemi conversion stuff guys did back in the day..

I asked the seller if it was B/RB or Hemi and I was told that it was B/RB.

Can anyone tell me the differences? It’s the exact grind I was looking for but I am just double checking.

Look at the lobes compared to a wedge cam. They are different, but will fit.
But won't work.
Sounds like an old hemi grind if not mistaken

Look at the lobes compared to a wedge cam. They are different, but will fit.
But won't work.
Sounds like an old hemi grind if not mistaken
They made this same grind in both B/RB and Hemi cams..

I don’t know if I’d be able to judge the lobe difference right as I’m comparing a stock cam to a 300+ duration race cam..

Big differences between wedge and hemi cams...
Major difference is in the order of the lobes ,wedge is exhaust,intake and hemi is intake exhaust on the lobe alignment and the lobes face different directions.

Just my $0.02... :thumbsup:

They made this same grind in both B/RB and Hemi cams..

I don’t know if I’d be able to judge the lobe difference right as I’m comparing a stock cam to a 300+ duration race cam..
It's the lobe angles you're looking at.
All the lobes should match location

Hemi cam will fit in a wedge block, and the lobe spacing (because of the lifter bore location) is the same. But the intake/exhaust lobe order is different, and a hemi cam will not work in a wedge. Take your questionable cam, lay it along side a known wedge cam. Orient the drive pin the same, and compare lobe direction
If you see a lobe on the wedge cam pointed (for example) at 2 o'clock, and the same lobe on the racer brown cam is pointed at 4 o'clock, or 7 o'clock or whatever, you'll know you have a hemi cam.

Hemi cam will fit in a wedge block, and the lobe spacing (because of the lifter bore location) is the same. But the intake/exhaust lobe order is different, and a hemi cam will not work in a wedge. Take your questionable cam, lay it along side a known wedge cam. Orient the drive pin the same, and compare lobe direction
If you see a lobe on the wedge cam pointed (for example) at 2 o'clock, and the same lobe on the racer brown cam is pointed at 4 o'clock, or 7 o'clock or whatever, you'll know you have a hemi cam.
It is a Hemi cam. Bad news for my build..

But on the upside; I guess I have a NOS racer brown Hemi cam.

Same grind they ran in the Silver Bullet…

Auto Transport Service
Back