• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help installing steering wheel and horn

john.thompson068

Local time
4:54 AM
Reaction score
I am installing a Grant GT steering wheel and hooking the horn up. The car had no horn and no wires were hooked up to the horn relay. I hooked the black wire with the white tracer from the steering column to the top prong of the horn relay. I attached a power wire from the starter relay to the center prong of the horn relay, and I attached the wire coming from the horn to the bottom prong. With the old steering wheel gone, I pressed the spring loaded metal plunger that is on the plastic turn signal mechanism and there was no horn blast. After looking at the wiring schematic I am sure I have the horn relay wired up correctly. Actually, I need someone to explain exactly how pushing on the horn button makes the horn work.

Secondly, I am confused about the actual installation of the new horn button. I am pretty sure that I have the retainer contactor ring sitting inside the steering wheel correctly, but I fail to see where the horn button is going to make contact inside the steering wheel in order to activate the horn. I also do not see how any of the parts provided help me to connect the new wire to the existing wire. The instructions are not very clear and also mention a metal ring which was not included in my adapter kit and would serve no purpose under the hub where it is indicated it is supposed to go. It is obvious that I will have to remove the spring loaded metal plunger in order to slide the hub down onto the steering column shaft. It appears I will have to use my own butt connector and connect the existing wire directly to the wire that attaches to the retainer contactor ring.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 8,137
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 3,104
The metal sleeve was included in the kit, and I had already slid it down the column till it stopped at the bearings. It appears to serve no purpose as the next thing that goes on is the hub. The hub only slides down to the bottom of the splines leaving about an inch between the hub and the metal sleeve. Looks like I will have to call Grant to ask about this.
I am thinking that the wire going to the horn button grounds the relay and completes the circuit sending power to the horn. Later I will first touch the power wire to the horn wire and verify the horn works even though they worked before bolting them to the car. Then I will make a test wire to ground the top terminal and see what happens. If this does not work, I will need some way to verify that this does in fact mean that the horn relay is blown before buying a new one. I am also going to move a fuse into the ACC slot even though in the wiring diagram it says this is for the rear window defogger which my car does not have yet.
If I could just get the horn to work I would put the horn button in according to the directions and then if it does not work at least I now where the problem lies.

Just installed a new horn relay and nothing is happening. I ground the wire for the horn button and nothing. I take the power wire and touch it the horns and I go deaf.

Okay, the update all of you have been waiting for. This installation kit is not the right one. Be careful when ordering installation kits from Jegs. The 3196 can pop up and look like the correct one. However, there is a link on the page where you are looking at a specific steering wheel. It is buried in the overview window and you have to scroll down to even see it. The link takes you to Grants website where I see I should have ordered the 4310. I explained this to them on the invoice and hopefully I can get a refund and only lose out on the shipping charge to return the kit.

The horns are also working. The top prong is to the horns and the bottom prong is to the horn button. I reversed the wires and ran a test with the new relay. Looking at the wiring diagram, it can make it look like the wires are opposite what they are suppossed to be. I believe the old relay was bad anyway because after installing the new one I would hear a click sound coming from under the hood when reconnecting the ground on the battery.

Auto Transport Service
Back