• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help swapping guts to new steering column

peakandscoot

Local time
3:35 AM
Reaction score
I have a 62 Fury that i have been putting together for several years. 55 years ago my dad converted it from 3 on the tree to push button but left the original column. I hate the fact that it still has the linkage exposed under the hood and the arm on the column. I recently picked up the exterior parts for an automatic column. I have the original column out of the car and the steering wheel off. I don't want to screw this up anyone have any experience with this. Youtube shows other columns but not any old b bodys. some cars they showed you had to cut the wires then splice them back together. Second im assuming once disassembled i will leave the 3 speed linkage out.

I have a 62 Fury that i have been putting together for several years. 55 years ago my dad converted it from 3 on the tree to push button but left the original column. I hate the fact that it still has the linkage exposed under the hood and the arm on the column. I recently picked up the exterior parts for an automatic column. I have the original column out of the car and the steering wheel off. I don't want to screw this up anyone have any experience with this. Youtube shows other columns but not any old b bodys. some cars they showed you had to cut the wires then splice them back together. Second im assuming once disassembled i will leave the 3 speed linkage out.

You don't have to cut the wires. You just need to take a picture of how its wired at the plug and pop the wires out of the connection pull the whole deal out through the top but I would pull a string in when you pull it out to help fish the wire back through. Should be a tab on each wire in the connector you have to push in and it releases the wires from the connector. Would be easy with this tool. https://powerwerx.com/powerpole-ins...MInPO8w9bO2AIViDuBCh0CXw6UEAQYASABEgLBfPD_BwE

Post some pictures. I've never done a 62 column, but I have gutted 2 columns and put them together into one complete one switching from manual to power steering...in my car now.

Just in case here is a video showing how to remove wires from a connector.

Here's the type connection that you have.
20160717_190801.jpg

Use needle nose pliers to gently release each one. Just draw a diagram of each color and location. If you forget just look on the other half in the car.
20170709_130729.jpg

20170709_131307.jpg

Then you can remove the screws on the turn signal switch and pull them through the column.
20170709_132504.jpg

20170709_132359.jpg
20170709_132717.jpg

To install, do everything in reverse. Tape the wires all together along with a piece of stiff wire, to fish them back down where they come out.

wires are out and i took the snap ring off the shaft. I was thinking the bearing would come right off.do i need to tap it off and will i then ruien the bearing.

There is a snap ring on both sides of the bearing. It only comes out from the switch side.

The bearing is in cased in a rubber collar so you won't ruin the bearing but maybe the rubber if you're not careful. If the bearing won't come out with the shaft, you'll have to pull the shaft out the back of the housing after you take that apart.

Here's some pics.
20170709_150929.jpg
20170709_150910.jpg
20170709_151107.jpg
20170709_152248.jpg
20170709_152410.jpg
20170720_202522.jpg
20170709_152637.jpg

Thanks khryslerkid for the pictures of the steering column. I do have one last question. The 3 speed column has a channel that appears to be spot welded to the inside of the column tudb to prevent the wires from getting damaged. On the automatic column there are still the same two holes for the wires but it doesnt look like that there was any extra protection for the wires. Can you confirm the wires just come it then out using two rectangle holes in the column with no inner channel for protection

Can you confirm the wires just come it then out using two rectangle holes in the column with no inner channel for protection

There's no channel in the pushbutton trans column. They just pull through the rectangular hole.
20180116_101910.jpg

I used a protective stretch sleeve with shrink tube at each end. The wires could rub against the shaft. Very seldom do they rub through but it has happened. I bought the stretch sleeve from Summit. It's used for plug wires. You could just use electrical tape.
20170720_212947.jpg

20170720_215610.jpg

Exactly what I wanted to see.I picked up a 64 auto column to replace my 63-3 on the tree column.The plug & connectors changed from 63 to 64.
But I am going to modify and paint the 64 column before I install,but the pictures Kid put up let me see what I wanted!! Thanks Kid!
Left the camera in the truck,maybe tomorrow I'll remember to bring it in

1962-1966 turn signal switch.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back