• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with engine decoding!

gutterboy

Local time
12:44 PM
Reaction score
Ok, I looked around on some of the posts, but couldnt find any help for decoding my engine. So, here goes. The stamp on the side of the block reads "3830938-440", and the stamp on the top of the block near the distributor reads "4 T 440 E". Any help on this is greatly appreciated.:yes:

"E" = cast crankshaft

74_engine_stampings_600.jpg

In this case the "E" represents the year of car the motor was used in.

ok

it's late

and I'm second guessing myself

The model year designation comes first. In the case of a 69 model year car, the E would be before the CID.

In the case of the original poster, the 4 comes first telling us this engine was for a 1974 model year car.

The "T" tells us it was assembled at the Trenton engine plant, the 440 tells us CID, the "E" at the end tells us the engine came with a cast crank.

Some sources cite the "T" stands for a truck block and it does, if the "T" follows the CID. If it comes before the CID, it stands for Trenton engine assembly plant.

69_440_Engine_pad_3.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back