• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Cam with Shiny Lobes

LR1970

Local time
6:28 AM
Reaction score
Hi, I bought a new Comp cam and when I opened the box to take a peek the lobes have kind of shiny wear patterns almost like it has been used. Is this normal from the grinding process? All the pictures on Comp Cams website show nice black lobes. It's been some time since I bought a new camshaft. I will try to upload pictures, but the lobes look either better or worse when I take pictures.

I understand parkerizing is an option on a flat tappet Comp cams and not standard. As to being new or used I haven’t any idea. Parkerizing is a good idea as flat tappet cams need all the help they can get for break in and Comp cams have a generally bad reputation for going flat. I also believe they require removing the inner springs for break in and then put them back in after break in.

Need pictures. Parkerizing has been the standard for decades, but the mopar purple cams I've used and seen weren't.

Auto Transport Service
Back