• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New M/T ET Street R

67Satty

Local time
7:33 AM
Reaction score
I'm thinking about trying a pair of these. I've been running Hoosier Quicktime Pro D.O.T. bias ply slicks in the 27" X 9" size with no tubes on my Satellite and gotten 92 passes out of them but I picked up a nail or something and they have a leak now.

I was thinking I could get them patched and/or plugged or I could buy a pair of tubes but they are close to the wear bars anyway and maybe now is the time to try something new.

I've been able to 60 foot as low as 1.68 with the Hoosiers in a street car that runs 7.90s in the 1/8 mile. Now I'm thinking of trying these new M/T ET Street Rs in a 255/60-15 size which is pretty much the same size as the Hoosiers I was running but a little taller. Maybe a radial will be a little quicker and faster and maybe it will handle better since I have radials on the front.

Has anyone tried these yet? At $430 for the pair I want to make sure I'm making the right choice.

et_street_r.jpg

Well, I figure this is always room for improvement. And I want to get a tire that is actually D.O.T.-legal, not something with "D.O.T." on the sidewall that also says "Not Legal for Highway Use" on the sidewall.

My thinking going from a real drag slick bias ply or radial slick
to a real DOT legal drag radial, you'll loose a little ET

If your worried about ET, IMO the real slick will be faster most the time,
there are some really fast guys/gals running on drag radials now too...

Maybe the best thing is a set of slicks for the track & a set of street tires,
change them when you get to the track... Just a thought...LOL

allot depends on your set up thou, IMO/Experiences, most will be lost in 60ft times

how much loss your guess is as good as mine

the Hoosiers Slicks are probably slightly lighter too,
{less rotating mass/better power to weight ratios}
I'd have to check don't know for sure, that could/will effect performance also...

If you want something that handles better the DOT drag radial,
is probably the better choice for street driving, but they don't last very long...

I've never run the Hoosiers Quick Pros,
I did have M/T ET Street 315/60/15 DOT Drag Radials on my last RR thou,
they were a decent compromise, I drove to & from the track,
albeit only like 12 miles each way...

Different compound on different types of tires, react differently too,
I'm not sure what the QP slicks rubber compounds are ??
You will probably need to tinker a little, with shock setting & air pressure,
just to get the performance to match closely...

My M/T ET's liked a really stiff rear shock setting
{my car was 3520#'s I was on CalTracs too} & about 3.5" of lift upfront,
but mine was a high 9.70's -9.90's sec. @ 130-135mph 1/4 mile car
{about 740hp/670ish at the rear wheels}
http://www.wallaceracing.com/Calculators.html (helpful tool)
{about IIRC 6.20's to 6.30's 1/8 mile},
IIRC It would 60 ft 1.36-1.40's best {when they were new, 1.50's more common thou}
on a freshly professionally prepped concrete track surface,
the car was set up to be street driven mostly, sway-bars front & rear too,
not an ideal set-up, for street or the track by any means, a compromise...

{I had the same M/T tires when I went 8.58 @ 156mph with a 300 shot of N2O, at a test & tune in Sacramento in 100* summer day, quite a few years back now, (got kick off for running too fast with no cage) the 60ft was crap IIRC like 1.60 {??}, didn't have the car/shocks/front end lift etc. or the CalTracs tunes for the power, anyway my point is, they can work pretty damn well, if the car is set up properly too}

I also learned to do allot less burnout, with the drag radials too,
just barely get them to smoke/warm basically clean them off, pull up to stag...
Too much burnout will ball up the rubber, they will just spin, 60 ft times went to crap...

I ran mine between 16psi & 20psi at the track, depending on track surfaces
& usually about 26psi to about 30psi on the street, so the side walls were a bit stiffer,
it handles the curves & rough roads slightly better, especially up here on the rough/curvy mountain roads...

Your results will/may be different, but that gives you an idea...

Not sure any of that actually helps at all...

Good luck & Happy Moparing

Hmmmm, I have thought about buying non-DOT slicks and a regular pair of street radials. Since both are cheaper than drag radials and last longer than drag radials, maybe it wouldn't be much more money to have two sets of tires in the long run. Now, I'm kicking myself for selling my cop wheels! Now I might need another pair of cheap rims!

Hmmmm, I have thought about buying non-DOT slicks and a regular pair of street radials. Since both are cheaper than drag radials and last longer than drag radials, maybe it wouldn't be much more money to have two sets of tires in the long run. Now, I'm kicking myself for selling my cop wheels!
Now I might need another pair of cheap rims!

I'd suggest;
Lighter rims with drag slicks is a better idea,
the extra rotating mass/weight of a heavy stock, cop or steel rim
will effect performance, even if just slightly...

Why give up any power, it's hard enough to come by,
when you can just get a pair of lighter rims,
cheap second hand at a swap meet or maybe even on here...

I talked to a guy who works at Mickey Thompson and now I'm back to thinking the new ET Street R radials will probably work for me.

I have never used the M/T drag radials as they dont have the size I like but it seems most that use them really like them. I dont know about the ET street radial but if they are good as the M/T drag radial I would think they are a good tire. My son uses the Hoosier QTP tires and likes them alot. I wanted a 30 x 9 tire so I bough the Hoosier 30 x 9 radial slicks and they hooked good for me and actually drive real nice on the street so I have been driving on them on the street for over 4 years and of course I race on them. I have never been hassled by the Police at all and some have even stopped me just to look at my car. I was caught in the rain twice and drove nice and easy with no trouble. I am happy with how good these Hoosier radial slicks hook for me. Ron

407196594.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back