• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New member from Norman OK, 1969 GTX

sixsixvette

Local time
1:30 AM
Reaction score
Thanks for letting me join the Forum. Recently purchased what I would call a barn find, a 1969 Plymouth GTX, that has been sitting in the owner's shop/barn for the past 20 plus years. Very rare condition 2 owner car. Original owner and the second owner whom I purchased the car from are my neighbors. This is a well-known car around here that has lived its entire life within 1 square mile of me!! Second owner purchased the car in 1971 from his neighbor. He drove it occasionally until the mid 1990’s. He then took it off the road and began a full restoration on this 100% numbers matching car. Over the years he had a couple of small rust spots in the rear quarter and floorboard repaired, and then had a very nice three stage paint job completed 22 years ago. Since the paint job, the car has not seen the light of day, as it was covered up and left in his shop until he got the time to complete the restoration. He moved along with some of the assembly, but focused most of his time rebuilding the drivetrain, as that was his profession as a machinist and avid racer. He sought out the best OEM pieces he could find over the years and kept all of the parts inventoried in his house. The car has remained covered up on jack stands in his shop for the past 22 years, waiting for him to complete the restoration. Well, he is now in his later years and physically limited to doing what it takes to finish the car. We came to a great agreement that allowed me to purchase the car and finish the project and keep him in the loop as I make progress. These are pics of the car after washing the dust off of her this weekend. I am extremely pleased with the care and detail the car has received so far, and I am anxious to get the project moving forward again. It took me four pickup loads to gather all the parts from his house and shop, all of which are in unbelievable condition. I’m sure I will be leveraging the knowledge of this forum for completing this project, as this is my first Mopar restoration.

1969 Plymouth GTX - 041.jpg

20240616_151741.jpg

20240616_152652.jpg

20240616_152737.jpg

20240616_151733.jpg

What a beauty! It illustrates well the value of being kept inside and out of the elements when sitting for so many years. Best wishes!

Thanks for letting me join the Forum. Recently purchased what I would call a barn find, a 1969 Plymouth GTX, that has been sitting in the owner's shop/barn for the past 20 plus years. Very rare condition 2 owner car. Original owner and the second owner whom I purchased the car from are my neighbors. This is a well-known car around here that has lived its entire life within 1 square mile of me!! Second owner purchased the car in 1971 from his neighbor. He drove it occasionally until the mid 1990’s. He then took it off the road and began a full restoration on this 100% numbers matching car. Over the years he had a couple of small rust spots in the rear quarter and floorboard repaired, and then had a very nice three stage paint job completed 22 years ago. Since the paint job, the car has not seen the light of day, as it was covered up and left in his shop until he got the time to complete the restoration. He moved along with some of the assembly, but focused most of his time rebuilding the drivetrain, as that was his profession as a machinist and avid racer. He sought out the best OEM pieces he could find over the years and kept all of the parts inventoried in his house. The car has remained covered up on jack stands in his shop for the past 22 years, waiting for him to complete the restoration. Well, he is now in his later years and physically limited to doing what it takes to finish the car. We came to a great agreement that allowed me to purchase the car and finish the project and keep him in the loop as I make progress. These are pics of the car after washing the dust off of her this weekend. I am extremely pleased with the care and detail the car has received so far, and I am anxious to get the project moving forward again. It took me four pickup loads to gather all the parts from his house and shop, all of which are in unbelievable condition. I’m sure I will be leveraging the knowledge of this forum for completing this project, as this is my first Mopar restoration.

View attachment 1680765

View attachment 1680766

View attachment 1680767

View attachment 1680768

View attachment 1680769
Great car! Welcome from the Garden State!
IMG_4630.gif
IMG_4629.gif
IMG_4626.gif
IMG_4625.gif
IMG_4620.gif
IMG_4619.gif
IMG_4617.gif
IMG_4616.gif
IMG_4614.gif
IMG_4599.gif

Welcome aboard from Ohio. Awesome!

Welcome from PA. Beautiful car, you will find a wealth of information on this site. These two were both brought to life after decades of indoor storage. Both from the rust belt, but they got lucky. Still own the one with the painted roof.

IMG_2278.JPG

73D9AC60-33F4-4EA4-B708-36A47A133145.jpeg

Welcome to FBBO from NY.
You're off to a great start with that GTX project :thumbsup:

Welcome from Southern CA !!
Great backstory there, looks like a nice project that will finally get off the ground and completed.
Keep the energy going so you can drive the heck out of it.
That body is in awesome shape, looks factory !!

Very cool, "most of" all the hard work is done
great to know the cars history too

I would highly suggest getting a year/brand specific
1969 Plymouth Factory Service Manual
if it didn't already come with one in all that stuff,
it will be worth it's weight in gold

welcome to FBBO from NorCal Sierras

Welcome to FBBO from Ontario. Wow! A great story and great find! Thanks for your pictures and enjoy your project.

Welcome from Fla. What a nice GTX. looking forward to the progress. Not a bad start from what I see. Now just put it back together and have fun.

Auto Transport Service
Back