• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New member from Vero Beach Florida

KTKFlorida

Local time
11:27 PM
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm just reaching out to say hi as I've just joined this forum today. I live in Vero Beach, Florida on the central east coast of the state. I joined this forum to hopefully get some advice/direction/suggestions on a project car I've owned since the mid 90s. I'm turning 67 next month and not sure I have the time, energy or enthusiasm to finish this car. If I was in my early 40s I wouldn't be asking this question.

On my way to taking my son to soccer practice is saw this cool looking car sitting on the side of the road. It was a bright orange 1970 Charger with a for sale sign on it. There were several potential buyers (with magnets, huh, what are they for?) looking it over so we stopped to check it out because classic cars were becoming very rare and expensive, even back then.

I called the number and paid the asking price, I think it was $1500. It ran fine so I drove it home and pulled the 318ci drivetrain because I planned on making it a race car. If I knew what I know know I would have run away! I knew nothing about collector cars, matching numbers, model year differences, etc. It was pretty though!

Fast forward about 30 years and here we are. I have a 1968-1970 charger (you'll know what I'm talking about when you see pictures) with a lot of blood, sweat and tears invested. Oh, I forgot, lots of money! I removed all 500 pounds of bondo and replaced all the sheet metal and found remnants of 'General Lee' on the roof. Movie/TV set car, maybe?

The drivetrain has less that 50 miles on it but I start it at least monthly. It has a 440, 727, 8 3/4 sure grip, clear title and a bunch of new stuff on the shelf I haven't installed yet. It really only needs to be sanded and painted but it's too damn hot here. In my moment of "I'm going to finish it and sell it for a million dollars" I was just online looking for new OEM front and back seats $$$ (stupid me threw the stock seats away and bought drag buckets).

I'm on the fence, should I finish it or sell it? I'm just looking for another perspective.

Thanks for your thoughts/advice/kick in the rear.

Ken

Ken
1970 Charger 1.jpg
1970 Charger.jpg
Driver Body.jpg
Driver Side Primer.jpg
Engine.jpg
Fresh Build 440 Bottom.jpg
Fresh Build 440 Top.jpg
General Lee.jpg
Headliner Removed.jpg
Hurst Shifter.jpg

Nice Charger. Why finish it, drive it as is and get some enjoyment out of it. You can finish it as you go.

Welcome from Alabama, if I were only 67, I would have no hesitation in doing the car. At 77, I would also be on the fence.

Welcome to FBBO from New Zealand. :thumbsup:

The magnets from potential buyers would have been to judge how deep the steel was from the painted exterior.....checking for bondo.

I'm just reaching out to say hi as I've just joined this forum today. I live in Vero Beach, Florida on the central east coast of the state.
If you get a chance to visit the local Police Station....ask them if anyone has pone of the Hotwheels cars with their Station name on it....like this one...

DSC01045.JPG

Welcome from just a little south of you! Soon I'll be even closer to you in PSL. (3 car garage and no HOA means I'll finally be able to make some real progress on my projects including one I've been lugging around since the early 90's) check out this site Southeast Florida

Thanks to everyone for the friendly welcomes. The consensus is to keep and finish the project and most importantly, drive it and have fun. More to come on appropriate forums.

It seems like it's come a long way, it'd be a shame to throw in the towel and not continue with it. The direction I'm going with my '70 Charger is to make it the way I like it, not to restore it to original to maximize resale value. Like others said, enjoy your Charger, especially if it has any sentimental value.

Just, 'Don't put any 01 back on the side', you'll be OK
but finish it & go enjoy it
maybe change the wheels & tires, that always helps freshen things up

find some org. style seats, get ready to pay for it too, cha ching
or
Pro Car-Scat Pro 90 Lowback 1400 #51 dimensions sketch.gif
ProCar 90 Lowbacks

Rallye 1,000 have nice bolsters keeps you in the seat

Pro Car-Scat Rally 1000 #51 dimensions sketch.gif

buy some ProCar Rallye 1,000 ones with adj. head rests
or the low-backs 90s
for seats, they have all the mounts for a B-body too,
not bad for what they are, about $1,000 all in (or were)
look sort of like an old 60's muscle car seat, but not a race seat
The back seat you're stuck with finding something that fits,
maybe have it covered to match what ever you do in the front

welcome to FBBO from NorCal Sierras

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back