• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie Mopar Future Owner - VIN Help

Charles Cooper

Local time
3:37 PM
Reaction score
Hey all! I look forward to getting my first MOPAR this weekend! I know this may sound moronic, but how do I verify the car is an actual R/T? Is the "P" in the VIN for Premium mean R/T? Thanks yall! Look forward in sharing and getting advice from you all!

1969 Dodge Coronet R/T
VIN Number:WP23G9G......

Not An R/T.. Coronet 500 383 two barrel if im not mistaking..

WS23L9 or WS23J9 would be R/T's

Welcome aboard. I know the price can be substantially higher for a "real" RT. However, if the price is right and in an acceptable condition. Grab it and be happy! It's not like there is a lot of them around. I am a purist but, as long as it's all Mopar it wouldn't be an issue to me. I love my clone! :D

Yes you guys are right, the P stands for 500 :( I still like the car though, maybe I can lower the price. Is $19,500 a good price? It runs, good interior, black paint like I like. Not sure now.

Your checking things and that's good.
Next, jmho but do not buy online without checking the car over.
First to make sure it exists and also the condition of it and the title ect.
Parts cars you can gamble a little on but when the $$$ gets up there you have to inspect them.
Post some pics if you have them, many on here have a pretty darn good eye. Plus lots of good info.

Your checking things and that's good.
Next, jmho but do not buy online without checking the car over.
First to make sure it exists and also the condition of it and the title ect.
Parts cars you can gamble a little on but when the $$$ gets up there you have to inspect them.
Post some pics if you have them, many on here have a pretty darn good eye. Plus lots of good info.
To the original poster, this ^^^ is good advice. Another reason to post some pictures, if possible, and as much information as possible is that someone on this forum may have owned that car at some point, or at least know the car, and they can give you a little more info on it.

Is $19,500 a good price? It runs, good interior, black paint like I like. Not sure now.

Depends on the cars condition and if it only looks like an R/T or also has an according drivetrain, suspension etc.

You looked at other mopars as well? I personally prefer the 1970 coronet r/t over the 1969. (Because of how it looks)
You probably know but if not also look at things like 68-70 Dodge charger, 71-74 Dodge Charger, 70-74 dodge challenger, 70-74 plymouth cuda / barracuda, 71-72 plymouth road runner / gtx...
or even some fullsize cars like 69-72 plymouth fury, 69-71 imperial, 69 dodge polara / monaco :)
depending on what you want.
There are lots of great cars out there so dont just buy the first one that pops up.

Also do you need the performance of an R/T (or Super Bee, Road Runner, GTX in that regard)?
You could save a ton of money with a base model and still have 90% of the fun.
If in doubt go for the top of the line model. :D

The R/T and GTX are the top of the line models by the way.
Super Bee and Road Runner are cheaper models which only focus on performance.
So if you could not afford an R/T but still wanted to go fast you ordered a Super Bee for example... :)

Depends on the cars condition and if it only looks like an R/T or also has an according drivetrain, suspension etc.

You looked at other mopars as well? I personally prefer the 1970 coronet r/t over the 1969. (Because of how it looks)
You probably know but if not also look at things like 68-70 Dodge charger, 71-74 Dodge Charger, 70-74 dodge challenger, 70-74 plymouth cuda / barracuda, 71-72 plymouth road runner / gtx...
or even some fullsize cars like 69-72 plymouth fury, 69-71 imperial, 69 dodge polara / monaco :)
depending on what you want.
There are lots of great cars out there so dont just buy the first one that pops up.

Also do you need the performance of an R/T (or Super Bee, Road Runner, GTX in that regard)?
You could save a ton of money with a base model and still have 90% of the fun.
If in doubt go for the top of the line model. :D

The R/T and GTX are the top of the line models by the way.
Super Bee and Road Runner are cheaper models which only focus on performance.
So if you could not afford an R/T but still wanted to go fast you ordered a Super Bee for example... :)

My dream would be a 1968 Charger or 1969...but they are so expensive.

Auto Transport Service
Back