• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No oil cooler 6.4 swap

PistolGrip6

Local time
4:14 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone encountered any problems with oil temps using the 45 deg adapter on a 6.4 swap due to lack of an oil cooler?

I have a 45 deg filter adapter ready to be installed but I’m now considering getting the 90 deg adapter with oil cooler fittings.

I assume the 6.4 came with a cooler from the factory for a reason.

Just wondering what others have experienced using the Holley 90 deg adapter.

if you are using a 180 degree thermostat you are already dropping the temp lower than factory . i have a 5.7 swap in a 67 Coronet using the 2010 cooling system and 180 degree thermostat and if drives great stay's cool

if you are using a 180 degree thermostat you are already dropping the temp lower than factory . i have a 5.7 swap in a 67 Coronet using the 2010 cooling system and 180 degree thermostat and if drives great stay's cool
Coolant temperature does not necessarily equal oil temperature. Only way to honestly answer that is to have an oil temperature gauge.

Coolant temperature does not necessarily equal oil temperature. Only way to honestly answer that is to have an oil temperature gauge.
I'm in alot of gen 3 hemi swap groups and most people run them without them , is that a better way to put it pnora ? Once the 180degree thermostat is installed these engines run sugnifigantly cooler than out of the factory but , with that being said . The 6.4 has oil squirters in the bottom of the cylinders . i know alot of people who do not run them but if you plan on beating the hell out of it or lots of track time i would suggest running one

Last edited:
I'm in alot of gen 3 hemi swap groups and most people run them without them , is that a better way to put it pnora ? Once the 180degree thermostat is installed these engines run sugnifigantly cooler than out of the factory but , with that being said . The 6.4 has oil squirters in the bottom of the cylinders . i know alot of people who do not run them but if you plan on beating the hell out of it or lots of track time i would suggest running one
Thanks I appreciate the response.

I don’t plan on auto cross tracking it or beating on it too hard. Maybe a few quarter mile passes when the mood strikes.

I’ll stick with the 45 deg adapter for now and a 180 deg thermostat. I have a four core Frost Bite aluminum rad so that should keep the coolant at a reasonable temp, which in theory could help with oil temp as well.

My next purchase is a thermostat and a relay set up for dual electric fans.

Auto Transport Service
Back