• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Obtaining a VIN tag? 71 Charger

Neal Zimmerman

Local time
8:41 PM
Reaction score
OK, you'll probably think Im nuts but I came across locally a 1971 Charger really cheap because there is no VIN tag or title. I'm going to go check it out anyway.
As I remember the VIN tag should be on the dashboard visible through the windshield. Maybe they swapped out dashes or who knows.
Is there any way to obtain a legal VIN tag for the car from Chrysler or Govier , or somebody?
The title is another issue, but I will cross that bridge when I come to it, providing sanity does not return and I pass on this.
The guy says it appears to have been a begun/never finished race project.
Thanks, Neal

It's possible to get a title but depending on states can take some effort. Have to talk to your local dmv type place.

AS a follow up to this, upon close inspection of photos, yes, indeed the dash is gone because of the race car thrash. So shouldn't there be a VIN number on radiator core support, that I could write down and check with DMV or state police? OF course I am leery of the whole deal, could be a stolen car, or maybe not.
Neal

OK, you'll probably think Im nuts but I came across locally a 1971 Charger really cheap because there is no VIN tag or title. I'm going to go check it out anyway.
As I remember the VIN tag should be on the dashboard visible through the windshield. Maybe they swapped out dashes or who knows.
Is there any way to obtain a legal VIN tag for the car from Chrysler or Govier , or somebody?
The title is another issue, but I will cross that bridge when I come to it, providing sanity does not return and I pass on this.
Thanks, Nea

Here are a couple threads that may help you locate the VIN
VIN locations on 1970 B body cars
71 Charger VIN stamp?? | 1971-1974 Dodge Charger.com

Before you do anything at all with regard to the car, go to your dmv (or whatever it's called in your state), explain the situation, and find out if you can LEGALLY get a replacement title AND Vin for it, and how many hoops you will have to jump thru.
You might find out it wouldn't be worth the trouble even if it's free!
(Unless you WANT to make an unregisterable race car out of it.)

find a rusty charger with title and tag; and transfer 95% of the good car onto it...... or 5% in the other direction :popcorn2:

With most states (I believe) you can get a state generated VIN via the DMV and Highway patrol. You will need some form of ownership (sales receipt/bill of sale). The HP should inspect the car and attempt to determine if it is stolen, they ultimately would be who issues a new VIN. All that said you have to ask yourself if it is really worth it because its resale value will be minimal, even if not stolen there is no definitive proof of ownership and at some point someone can contest you owning it. It would have to be a pretty special car for me to go through that mess, but as mentioned if it has a lot of good parts/pieces it might be a good donor.

The various States handle lost title/VINs differently, so as suggested check with your DMV. It take 3 years to complete the process here. If it is REALLY cheap, buy it anyways and sort it out over time. The price of the car and cost to pick it up is all you have to lose.

There will always be questions if and when the time comes to sell it
You are better to pay a bit more for something with all the paperwork intact to start with

popcorn-landing.gif

My bets there already is a car with the dash tag and title on the road.

Thanks, Neal
Has anyone looked on the door yet?

Check for the door Vin sticker, if it's there see if it matches the cowl and rad support stamps. If they match or not then proceed to your DMV and see what they suggest (hopefully you'll find a knowledgeable person at the DMV, which is not always the case).

What is the estimated value of the parts?

There will always be questions if and when the time comes to sell it
You are better to pay a bit more for something with all the paperwork intact to start with
Do it properly or live with a lie. :thumbsup:

OK, well this doesn't sound too promising. So onto Plan B : anybody on here with a 1971 Charger or 1972 Charger project for sale ? No 72 SE's please. No I don't have 15-40k to buy a really nice running one, I can only afford a project car. I'm on the west coast so I am probably willing to go 1000 miles to get one, just depends

Thanks, Neal
It might have been a recovered stolen vehicle! New a guy that had the same problem with a very nice challenger t/a

Auto Transport Service
Back