• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Off topic Mopar info please . 1958 Coronet

Neal Zimmerman

Local time
6:16 AM
Reaction score
OK, this is off topic, but at least its Mopar. I tried to sign up to the Forward Look group, but it didn't work, so I am asking here.
There's a 1958 Coronet 2 door sedan here that somebody I know wants to get rid of very, very cheaply ( 1000 bucks). I have only seen the car from a distance but I said I would come over and check it out. It's very straight with the original paint (looks like it) and shes nearly complete with only a few missing trinkets. Factory big block too
( 350/361?) Pushbutton automatic.
I have three questions:
1) What are the problem (rust) areas in these cars I should look for?
2) What is the deal with the differences between a 2 door hardtop and a 2 door sedan. The 2 door sedan looks almost like somebody just bondoed in the back door.
Part of why they're so fugly I think, (IMAO). Did they use a different roof from the 2 door hardtop or what? Different wheelbase? Are the door lengths different between the two types? I just cant tell, it just looks weird . The door looks stumpy and that back quarter windows too long ( IMAO)
3) IF the door lengths are the same could one convert it over with a lot of work?
If this was a 2 door hardtop I would be all over it, but it also wouldn't be 1000 bucks. Would make a cool driver to run around town in nonetheless.

Should be a 350 engine. And a 3 speed cast iron TF. Pretty rare if original to the car. Was it a police car?That trans is expensive for parts to rebuild, and should not be attempted by a novice. Brakes are unusual and temperamental unless serviced correctly.

That era mopars are rust prone if stored wrong. And it's been on the planet a long time, it's lived many lives already.

Floors, frames, trunk floor, rocker panels, lower quarters & front fenders dog leg and around headlamp area. Look it over and see what is there. Bring magnets and get down on the ground to check for bondo filling up the rust holes.

Unsure about the doors and any conversion. Lots of work? Oh Generally a sedan mopar has a taller roof and glass than a hardtop making a conversion a problem.

There is nothing wrong with the way this one looks.

Screenshot_20240821_083824_Google.jpg

I love the Mopars from that era! I grew up riding in those! ruffcut

I had 58 & 59 Dodge Custom Royals. 58 had the 350, 59 had the 361 engine.

When you look at the beautiful lines & fins of the 59.....& compare it to the ugly 59 Chebby, Chrys was light years ahead....

If it is the original bb it's a one year only 350, a good indicator is 4 bolts per valve cover.
Hardtop, 2 or 4 door, has a different windshield side glass, and rear glass, so roof is different as well.

Eyebrows of fenders rust, trunk gutter, and the usual places, floors, trunk floor, rockers, etc.

Hardtop or not, these cars are too cool, for a thousand smackers I'd jump on it.
I thought about buying mine for years, and once I did I wondered what took me so long.

202406-14-8_0.png

I believe the hardtop and sedan, or 'post' might have different doors, but the wing (vent) windows are different btw the two, post vent windows are smaller. Could be due to the post, though 4-doors and wagons had the smaller wing windows. Note, the photo above has the larger windows and the verts did as well.

I have three questions:
1) What are the problem (rust) areas in these cars I should look for?
2) What is the deal with the differences between a 2 door hardtop and a 2 door sedan. The 2 door sedan looks almost like somebody just bondoed in the back door.
Part of why they're so fugly I think, (IMAO). Did they use a different roof from the 2 door hardtop or what? Different wheelbase? Are the door lengths different between the two types? I just cant tell, it just looks weird . The door looks stumpy and that back quarter windows too long ( IMAO)
3) IF the door lengths are the same could one convert it over with a lot of work?
If this was a 2 door hardtop I would be all over it, but it also wouldn't be 1000 bucks. Would make a cool driver to run around town in nonetheless.

I'm guessing it is the green one on FB Marketplace? If so, that looks like a good car and $1k is a bargain. I wish that had come along before I spent 2 years un-rusting my 57.

1) Rust can be anywhere. These cars are very rust-prone. Floors, trunk pan, rockers (inside and outside), bottoms of quarters, bottoms of fender, eyebrows over the headlights, bottoms of the doors, trunk lid and hood seams, front and rear window channels, roof right above the sun visors, firewall air box, and in the quarter seam under the stainless side trim. Expect zero help with replacement sheet metal. What is out there is absolute garbage. You will be making all your own panels if needed.

2) The 2 door hardtop has a lower, shorter length roof that also slopes down faster at the rear. This shortens the height of all side glass plus the length of the rear side window. That's why the hardtop looks so much more sleek. 2 door sedan and hardtop do not share any glass, the roof, or doors. The dutchman panel between the bottom of the rear glass and the deck lid is wider by maybe 3-4 inches on the hardtop due to the shorter length roof. Wheelbase and most of the rest of the car between the two is the same.

3) You can convert a sedan to hardtop (anything is possible), but it is no easy task. You would need an entire donor roof, glass, doors, and tops of the quarter panel. I'm guessing window regulators may also be different.

chopchop.JPG

1958 to mid year 1963 all BB mopars have 4 bolt valve covers.

1958-1961 all take a iron trans and won't accept an aluminum 727, different crankshaft.

The looks don't bother me, I much prefer 2dr sedans to 2dr hdtp. Lighter and stiffer
A friend had a 57 DeSoto, two tone green, sitting in the garage for a decade. I didn't want it then, it was a four door sedan.
Boy, do I wish I had that opportunity over again!

Auto Transport Service
Back