• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

oil pump driveshaft

roadhog

Local time
8:54 AM
Reaction score
i am rebuilding a 440 motor is there a gasket under the gear on the shaft that is ran off of the camshaft to the oil pump ? When i got my gasket kit there is a neopreme ring i dont know where it goes

I've had lots of gaskets kits that had gaskets that didn't go anywhere on a Mopar engine.....

i am rebuilding a 440 motor is there a gasket under the gear on the shaft that is ran off of the camshaft to the oil pump ? When i got my gasket kit there is a neopreme ring i dont know where it goes
None there. Possible it goes under the distributor? How big is it?

Not that I have ever seen on one.
so is it just metal to metal why i ask is when i started it there is a kind of grinding sound in front of motor sounded like water pump , i took belts off and still there checked rods and bearings all are torqued , timing chain looks good dont know what it is?

Last edited:
Check oil slinger. Had to remove mine on my double roller chain. It was barely hitting the rivets on the chain. Never had leaks after removing.

so is it just metal to metal why i ask is when i started it there is a kind of grinding sound in front of motor sounded like water pump , i took belts off and still there checked rods and bearings all are torqued , timing chain looks good dont know what it is?
The base of the pump drive gear rides on a bronze (or sometimes aluminum) bushing that gets pressed in to the block there....the neoprene ring in your gasket kit is for the distributor, if it's 2-ish inches in diameter. They sometimes include an o-ring for the oil pump shaft (on the pump itself) that sticks into the block, that one's about 1/2 or 3/4"-ish in diameter...

There are TWO small O rings used with the oil pump. If you separate the pump cover from the body [ 2 bolts ] there is a recess in the body for an O ring, over the hole that feeds the pressurised oil into the block.

The other O ring fits into a recess on the 'neck' of the pump that goes into the bock.

Auto Transport Service
Back